LegacyGT.com

Non-cat up pipe for gasket longevity?

The passenger valve cover gasket on Mrs. Spif's 05 GT is leaking on the catted up pipe and causing an oil burning smell inside when the heat is on the fresh air setting. Apparently it is not a big surprise that these cars have valve cover gasket leaking problems. Guessing that the passenger side is more prone to leaks due to the heat of the up pipe being so close to the valve cover. So my question is if an STI non-cat up pipe or aftermarket $150 Invidia pipe could be installed to extend the life of my gaskets? Invidia pipe would probably be wrapped in header wrap since it does not have heat shielding like the Subaru factoey option. Supposedly the previous owner already did the valve cover gaskets and the car only has 65,000 miles, 20k miles between valve cover leaks seems a bit excessive...

20K between valve cover gaskets means the job was done wrong! There is no way you should have to re-do that job so soon. There are also spark plug tube seals that can leak, maybe that is the cause. Or the turbo drain hose...

You really should replace the catted uppipe ASAP since they are a known point of failure that could ruin the turbo and possibly damage the engine. I think using an OEM uppipe from an 07+ LGT or other Subaru is a good idea because it is a nice quality component that looks stock, has heat shields and has a flex section. Also, it is pretty inexpensive to pick up a take-off uppipe.

The heat of the turbo is more known for shortening the life of the inner CV boot on the passenger side. The heads are water-cooled so that is going to limit how hot the valve cover gaskets will get.

Archived