LegacyGT.com

1999 Legacy - new to forum

Hey guys, I just recently bought a 1999 Legacy base model brighton (wagon). Has about 250k on the body and about 150k on the EJ25 replacement motor. I am new to the forums and wondering what everyone recomends I should replace/upgrade and what kind of things to look out for on these.

I have replaced plugs, wires, tires, oil change so far. there is probably multiple forums on this already, if so feel free to post those lol.

Thank you!

General maintenance is always a good start.

I usually replace PCV valve, air filter, cabin filter, rear differential gear oil, and transmission oil when I get a new car.

Also, a good coolant flush is not a bad idea since the head gaskets are prone to go bad on these engines. Subaru sells a coolant additive that they recommend all Subarus use in their cooling systems now too.

Have you checked the belts too?

Timing belts are due to be replaced every 100K miles or so.

Good start with the spark plugs, tires and oil. Post some pics when you get the chance. :)

Dumb question, how do I get pics on here? I tried the image button and used Photobucket but it didn't work lol

Cool ill have to do the rear diff and tranny fluid this weekend and do you know what that additive is that Subaru recomends?

Visually the belts don't look too bad

what does the neutral saftey switch do?

When you edit your post, use the little paper clip tool. That will bring up a dialogue box. It gives you the option to browse to a file on your local computer, or a URL. Do your thing to get the image files. Hit the upload button on there. Then close the popup dialogue.

The coolant additive is cheap to buy at the Subaru dealer. It is relabeled Holts Radweld in a little blue bottle.

scooby-doo.jpg.5cffcc60025001caaf9273d363529536.jpg

If it's five speed neutral safety switch makes a huge difference

that should be a 100k mile preventative maintence thing, hahaha

it tells your car you are in nuetal or not, but will stick or become just awful overtime with no CEL(check engine light). kinda makes you have a shaky ride on and off throttle.

When you edit your post, use the little paper clip tool. That will bring up a dialogue box. It gives you the option to browse to a file on your local computer, or a URL. Do your thing to get the image files. Hit the upload button on there. Then close the popup dialogue.

The coolant additive is cheap to buy at the Subaru dealer. It is relabeled Holts Radweld in a little blue bottle.

Tried that and still didnt work. Im getting the "missing token" message. size of the photos are correct and tried on a different browser and still doesnt work. not a huge deal she has a few dings anyways lol

Archived