LegacyGT.com

2010 EJ253 NA SOHC - are camshafts marked L/R?

This is 2010 NA Outback with non turbo engine, bone stock 2.5i EJ253.

I did the head gaskets as preventive maintaince, car has 130K and engine came out for clutch replacement. Heads were resurfaced and cleaned at the machine shop, valve seats done and valve seals replaced.

Engine does not start. Diagnosed to no compression on 1&3, probably same on 2&4. Crank was turning way too easily when the plugs were put in. There are sparks on spark plugs, so crank position and electrical are OK. No resistance or hitting anything while crank was spinning, so hope valves are OK.

I am going to check the timing belt today but doubt it is the issue - I tripple checked the crank/cam sprockets alignment before closing the timing belt covers and have pictures to verify. So due to no/very low compression I suspect valve train - either VVT intake was put in incorrectly, or somehow I (or machine shop) managed to swap left and right camshafts. Don't know yet if there is any damage to but engine spun freely without any knocking/grinding sounds.

So my question is - are there any visible markings on camshafts to tell which one is which? I know part ## are different for left and right side, but wonder if camshafts themselves are possible to identify.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

You can look this up in Heuberger's online parts catalogue. HERE.

The left and right have different part numbers, at least on the SOHC engine I looked at. I think this is true of all subaru engines since the cylinders are offset, but the sprockets have to line up. That means the front of the shaft has to be longer on one side than the other.

Because of this, I can't see any way to to mix up left vs right. The cam belt alignment would be waaayy off. Must be something else.

• 3 weeks later...

Some update on this. Yes I did check on parts.subaru.com that the camshafts are different part#.

Ended up pulling the engine and taking the valve train apart to pull the camshafts, wasn't going to take any chances. There are markings on camshafts but those markings are completely identical. Can't use those markings to tell left or right.

Camshafts themselves are of different lengths though and there is no way to install either camshaft on wrong side head and have cam sprocket and rear plug put correctly. So I did have camshafts on their proper side.

Issue ended up being valve clearance not set by machine shop and not verified by rookie (me). Lesson learned, valves adjusted, car runs great, engine started from first crank.

I have pics somewhere, may post them for future reference.

Here are the pics of markings on camshafts and both camshafts side by side:

First marking:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=245437&stc=1&d=1487907164

Second one:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=245438&stc=1&d=1487907164

Both camshafts have exactly same markings. Here they are side by side:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=245439&stc=1&d=1487907164

CamshaftMarking01.jpg.62da5d5521ff4102c3a54287f9dbf145.jpg

CamshaftMarking02.jpg.330a2d83cc6ce364793a68939a4789b8.jpg

CamshaftsSideBySide.thumb.jpg.1f590c8cdf6dfe83ee13cf799880c553.jpg

Archived