LegacyGT.com

Legacy oil pan replacement

My wife has a 2011 Legacy 2.5 premium with manual transmission. She took it in for an oil change today and they said the oil pan is rusted out. I had looked at it last year and it had some surface rust but it needs to be changed now. Shop quoted her over $300 but I'm mechanically inclined have tools and shop so I'll do it myself as the pan is around $50.

I've searched the web and haven't found any info on 5th gen oil pan replacement. Has anyone done it before? Does the engine need to be raised or can I get to everything with the engine in place? Thanks in advance for any info!

I've never been under a n/a 5th gen, but I think ot should be a pretty straightforward job. I would honestly take a look myself including the condition of the oil pan. It seems very early to have to replace it. I just resealed my oil pan with 124k on the clock. It didn't need it, but since I have the engine out it was preventative. Some surface rust on mine, but nowhere near needing replacement.

I've never been under a n/a 5th gen, but I think ot should be a pretty straightforward job. I would honestly take a look myself including the condition of the oil pan. It seems very early to have to replace it. I just resealed my oil pan with 124k on the clock. It didn't need it, but since I have the engine out it was preventative. Some surface rust on mine, but nowhere near needing replacement.

I peeked under it and it has rust bubbles so it definitely needs to be changed. Didn't have time to raise it up and investigate further today though. I'm very disappointed in the amount of rust on this car given its age and 135k on the clock.

Did you replace the gasket or just silicone it up? I've read the older ones just use silicone but there is a gasket listed for this year so I'm planning on getting the gasket and using some silicone.

Hoping it's a straightforward job and I don't need to take a lot of stuff apart to get it off.

Service manu, eh vacation pics only show an rtv sealant. No physical gasket besides this.

There was a small bubble or two of rust, but it was no where near enough to worry about. The toughest part is getting the pan separated after taking the bolts off. Took my time and cleaned everything up so the new rtv gasket could form properly.

From the looks of things it's just the plastic undertray, and then the bolts for the pan. Might need a wobble extension for any bolts close to the cross member but without a picture it's tough to sell

I would use a high quality liquid gasket, not just any rtv. I always use and recommend Harley Davidson hi-performance grey sealant. Its a little pricey, but works very well and is sold in any Harley shop for 13.99.

FYI-it seems to be a random recommendation but its actually the 3-bond sealant recommended by Subaru just relabeled for HD, got the info directly from a Rep at 3 bond CS.

Archived