LegacyGT.com

Computer overestimates gas mileage

The topic has been discussed before on this forum. (Search is your friend.) Most people who have done the math report, on average, about a 4% error. If it's important to you, there is a calibration constant that can be adjusted by your dealer (up to +/-10%) to correct for this anomaly. See the Legacy/Outback Factory Service Manual, page MET(diag)-19.

MET(diag)-19_User_Customization.pdf

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Every tank I reset it. On a full tank of 500 miles or so, it might say I've gotten 32.1 mpg. After filling and doing the math it's always off by a few mpg.

That's the same with every trip computer - the system don't measure the actual volume used but calculates it from pulse width and frequency to the injectors.

453747.png

... the system don't measure the actual volume used but calculates it from pulse width and frequency to the injectors.

Correct ... and the injectors are nonlinear at short pulse widths, due to inertial and viscous properties of the fuel. My own observation is that the default on-board fuel economy calculation seems to be somewhat more accurate during constant-speed highway cruising than it is for slower in-town driving.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Archived