LegacyGT.com

'77 Chevy Cheyenne project

Thanks! It's been a good challenge up to this point, and it's been a long time since I've had an opportunity to work on something fun.

I agree, it really cleaned up quite well! As far as the hood goes, it did have a nice patina, but the eventual plan is to go with a matte black paint job. I kinda wanted to see what it would look like while simultaneously keeping the surface rust from getting worse.

Anyway, got the new MC bench bled and installed, then did a little more bleeding of the brakes. Once the new high pressure fuel pump shows up tomorrow, I'm going to get that installed, fill up the fuel tank, and take it for a ride around the neighborhood to check the brakes.

oh that color on it looks so good, please god don't go matte black. It's soooo played out and has to be done very well to not look like shit.
I could suck start a snow blower.

^ This.

Every ass clown is doing matte black. Don't be like the ass clowns. That truck has subtle character lines in the body work that a metallic color like silver highlights, and matte black will mask.

Silver looks good on that truck. I'd do whatever rust mitigation you need to, keep it silver, do a mild window tint, fix the grill, clean up the wheels, clean up the interior and enjoy it. Do performance upgrades as your time and budget allow, that EFI should make tuning for a cam, or head work pretty easy so you're good there.

:lol: My wife is the one that wants to go black/matte black. I'm trying to talk her out of it, as I was thinking more metallic red/blue, or maybe a respray of what's there.

At any rate, I think the wheels are going to be a serious challenge. They're rusting on the inside to the point that there is flaking... What do you think? Fixable or go with a new set?

Also, at some point, the dash and all that is coming out... the previous owner had wired up a few gauges, and there's a real rat's nest of wires in there. Plan for that is to figure out what's necessary, and cut the rest out. Looks like I need to replace the blower motor while I'm at it (fan switch/defrost does nothing).

Oh! My neighbor (huge Chevy fan, currently rebuilding a C4 'Vette) said I've got 202 heads on it right now. Got any suggestions on what to look for once I pull the valve covers? (Not planning to do it now, but I'd like to see what's there eventually)

I mistakenly thought the wheels were aluminum. If they're steel and rusting, yeah that's going to be a pain in the ass and they're going to rust again even if you clean them up.

The heads on your motor are a typical pre-Vortec head for a small block Chevy. Better than 194's due to the larger intake valve but nothing special. Don't expect them to support big power if that is your goal. As for top end inspections and stuff like that check out my vintage iron 7512 on YouTube. Guy builds motors and owns a machine shop, does lots of rebuilds. Very detailed videos, way more informative than I can ever be.

Archived