LegacyGT.com

proper NGK spark plug wire model number for 2005MY

So I just got spark plugs and wires from my local Auto parts store, and while I was very careful to make sure they had the right NGK plug model number, I did not do the same for the NGK wire set, and they gave me the wires for the EJ20 WRX instead. :(

So I did some searching for the correct part number online, and found two models that appear to be for the LGT, but I am not sure which one to get. The first set, FX-101, has a right angled boot on the voltage source side, and the FX-102 has a straight boot. I checked the NGK parts catalog and it lists the 102 part number as the California emissions equipment... I thought there was no difference between Federal and California emissions models on the 2005, so now I am extra confused.

Can anyone tell me which of these I would need for my LGT (stock ignition system)? I am going to go back tomorrow and exchange them.

Thanks!

FX-101:

335e0eaf0530fa95d4b97481a06b29ab.jpg

FX-102

aa266e20ff3d35d60ce65fd2f4874c98.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2005 LGTs have a coil-on-plug system. They don't use high-tension spark plug wires like those. There is a wiring harness instead. I'll see if I can get a picture.

So it must be the NA Subarus that use this type of wire then? I see what you are saying now. Hey, I get 40 bucks back!

So as far as the ignition system on these cars, are the plugs the only thing you ever have to realistically replace? are there other ignition components to keep an eye on besides the coil packs and plugs? Seems a lot simpler than previous vehicles I have had.

You don't have to replace the coil packs or wiring unless you start getting problems, such as misfires. Pics:

Misfires will typically throw a CEL, right? I have been having some roughness in cylinder 1 but no CELs (thus why I decided to do the plugs, plus age and lack of service record for plugs). I wonder if I should inspect the coil packs too... I think I have seen a few threads on troubleshooting them.

The 2.5 normally-aspirated engines have a different system that uses those type of wires you showed above. Turbo engines use the coil-on-plug ignition system and there is not much to go wrong. If you stick with the NGK iridium plugs, they are good for about 60K miles. The most common flaw seems to be when people remove the wiring harness during maintenance, sometimes the little locking tab will break off the coil pack and they have to resort to zip ties or other tricks to hold the wiring harness on.

Troubleshooting misfire CELs often involves swapping two coil packs to see if the misfire moves to another cylinder. If so, the coil pack is suspect. Very old coil packs can develop rust which is from failure of the surface coating, though that doesn't seem to stop them working at least for awhile.

Archived