LegacyGT.com

Engine Makes Knocking Noise

Hey guys. Don't know anything about cars and how to diagnose problems so I'm hoping you guys can help out.

I drive a 2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT with just over 75K miles on it. Just recently it started to make a knocking/rattling noise but only during startup. I've also noticed that it only happens when I haven't driven the car in more than a few hours. So I'm assuming it has something to do with it being a cold start. I can try to record a video of it later if that would help.

Any ideas what it might be???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://vimeo.com/201071394

Suspect timing belt tensioner. Has timing belt service been done on this car? Should be done at 105K miles or 105 months (8.75 years) whichever comes first. You may be overdue.

Timing belt service is critical since these are interference engines. If your engine lost the timing belt, you would have some expensive engine repairs to make. When replacing the timing belt, replace the tensioner, idlers and water pump all at the same time.

here is a "bloke" that can tell you how to check, i only heard it on start up so maybe you can try to hold it with the screwdriver and have someone else help you (not always an option though).

assuming you know how to take her apart FF to 4:00

Archived