LegacyGT.com

Front Brake upgrade?

• I Donated Too

I get nice looking Rotors from here: http://brakeperformance.com/

Then get some Hawk HPS pads which work well on those rotors, I don't use the pads from that site just the rotors and then some SS brake lines if that takes your fancy:

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/high-performance-brake-lines/stp-950-47005-stoptech-stainless-steel-brake-lines-front

And that's a little over half your budget (depending on the rotor choice) to do just the front set. You will need fresh brake fluid and a full flush all around and you will be very happy with the result.

I've had Goodridge 6-piece stainless steel lines on my old '08 LGT, with an STI master cylinder and booster, with some no name pads and the performance of all those components together was much better than stock. That car just stopped. Mind you this is a street daily driver. Even my brother who buys and sells cars for a living, who has had a good amount of LGT's throughout the years has commented on how strong those brakes were compared to the other LGT's he's had.

So,

Stainless steel lines (6-piece) ~$170

Centric Premium rotors ~$70/each front

Pads - Almost too many to count and compare. I'd look for something that leans towards how you use the car.

STI booster & MC ~$150 used

Fluid ~$20

Stoptech/Goodrich SS lines, Centric Premium blanks (rotors), Hawk HPS pads, Grimmspeed MBC brace, good bleed. All assuming that you already have good, weather-appropriate tires, since those will be your most effective brakes.

Isn't it true that new SS brake lines perform about the same as new OEM lines? IOW, SS brake lines are more for looks than function? The real benefit in replacing them is to get newer components.

Upgrading the booster and master cylinder would be real functional improvements. Good pads, rotors and fresh fluid are a given.

Isn't it true that new SS brake lines perform about the same as new OEM lines? IOW, SS brake lines are more for looks than function? The real benefit in replacing them is to get newer components

I think the real benefit to SS lines is that it forces you to do a brake bleed. So they feel great because freshly bled lines.

I really need to bleed my brakes. Been so long.

Upgrading the boost and master cylinder, if I remember correctly, isn't a functional improvement. It is a feel improvement. I may not be remembering correctly though.

Archived