LegacyGT.com

Knock or MAP sensor?? 2000 legacy GT

Recently purchased a 2000 legacy GT twin turbo with little knowledge on cars or subies like the irresponsible person i am. I purchased it with what the sellers called a "bad idle". They replaced the spark plugs and the MAF sensor in an attempt to diagnose and fix the problem. Happy to have these done to the car but they didn't help.

The problem is that when the vehicle starts up, it idles rough and inconsistent and will drop to a very low idle and perhaps stall out when i first start it. When oil pressure builds idle stabalizes but only at 500 rpm. Also the car sputters when increasing speed or driving at a solid speed. I believe it to be either the knock sensor or the MAP sensor. I heard this can be typically be a knock sensor problem disguised as a MAP problem. I'd love to hear from anyone out there that's maybe dealt with this or seen it before

Any engine lights? Easiest way to narrow it down. Sounds more like a idle air control problem. If it stalls at stops it's a cam sensor

Also the car will have either MAP or MAF not both. So if they replaced the MAF they probably ment they replaced the map.

Archived