LegacyGT.com

A/C compressor?

racin4ds

Hi guys, new LGT owner here (2008 5 speed). I just bought the car cheap with a blown turbo after the original owner let it set for 5 years once it blew. Got a new turbo on her and ALL fluids changed and it runs like new!

Anyway, I have no A/C whatsoever. Went to add some R134 today and found the compressor doesn't even turn on. Jumpered the relay and the cooling fans came on but still no compressor cycle? Am I missing something ? Are these cars known to have compressor or clutch failure?

Let me preface this by saying I don't know much about AC systems.

After reading a few AC troubleshooting threads on this forum over the years, I get the impression that these cars are super picky about how much refrigerant is in the system.

After trying to google your problem, I found on another subaru forum someone said that that if there is too much or too little refrigerant in the system, it won't work to prevent damage to the system.

ac1.jpg.6503922cb6d23d79476b23b15fbed213.jpg

ac2.jpg.fb22658d157db20276d17bbfda42f1e0.jpg

Yes that's pretty much any AC system. The high and low pressure cut off switches keep things safe. But normally you jump the relay and/or compressor and force the compressor to cycle so you can add refrigerant. I think I have a bad compressor/clutch because this one won't cycle no matter what I do.

Most likely you have lost a lot of the refrigerant since these systems tend to leak if they do not get cycled for awhile. Your system probably just needs evacuation and refill with fresh refrigerant. Please don't use the A/C stop leak stuff that tends to cause problems.

Archived