LegacyGT.com

P0031 Problem

Hey all, today I changed my rear differential fluid and put dielectric grease around the coil packs where they come in contact with the ceramic part of the spark plugs. Everything seemed fine, car drives the same as it had been, sounds fine, but after about 5 miles a P0031 code "HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor 1" code came up. So I cleared it, checked all my wires, and it came up again immediately.

1st. What are common causes of this?

2nd. Have I done something today that would cause this, or is it a coincidence that I was working on my car and now this comes up?

3rd. I have an appointment with the Subaru dealer for a transmission service in a week; will driving with this code cause problems if a week passes?

Thanks in advance!

You may have inadvertently unplugged the 02 sensor, check that the connections to both sensors, but more specifically the passenger side sensor nearest the engine is still plugged in correctly. Otherwise, it could be a coincidence and your sensor is merely failing.

Sorry, miles on the car: 99,000. Subaru said they were going to replace it when I took it to have it checked. Wanted $200 for the part, plus who knows what for 5 minutes of labor, so I'm going to do it myself with a DENSO fuel/air sensor. Hope it solves the problem for me tomorrow.

• 11 months later...

I would unplug connector on o2 sensor and do a ohm test on the 2 black wires on the O2 sensor. if more than a few ohms, replace.

you can also hang a test light off of the circuit to verify power coming to sensor... it is rare for the heater circuit wiring in the car to fail but far more common for the actual sensor to fail....

Okay thanks! After installing my sway bars and motor mounts I had p0031 come up. I hope it's just that I bumped the sensor or connector but I might need to replace if damaged. I will try your suggestion first though.

Any chance you took pics of the motor mounts before you installed?

Archived