LegacyGT.com

Where have the old features gone ??

For the MY01, the AT model had two buttons, a POWER button and a HOLD button. The POWER button obviously remapped the ECU to give the car more power when required. (have to admit, I have never used it). The 2nd button, the HOLD button is actually for the snow or slippery surfaces. When switched on, a little snow flake appears on the dash indicating you are in this mode. The car's ECU is then told to take off out of 2nd gear and not first to reduce wheel spin on take off. It also very handy when you are on a slight hill or incline as with most AT cars the car will roll forward as still in gear. With this function is turned on, it wont roll anywhere which is a great feature. Unsure why they havent put these feature into the new GT. Subaru Oz were unable to answer this either?

Since the GT is targeted toward the performance market there is probably no need to have the power button since most people would leave it switched on. The Hold button would be more suited to the recreational market like the outback where people use these up in the snow. Are these features available in the outback? With the GT you can still take off in 2nd gear if required. Regards John

Guest *Jedimaster*
Get a lot of snow in Melbourne, do ya ;) [quote name='agctr']For the MY01, the AT model had two buttons, a POWER button and a HOLD button. The POWER button obviously remapped the ECU to give the car more power when required. (have to admit, I have never used it). The 2nd button, the HOLD button is actually for the snow or slippery surfaces. When switched on, a little snow flake appears on the dash indicating you are in this mode. The car's ECU is then told to take off out of 2nd gear and not first to reduce wheel spin on take off. It also very handy when you are on a slight hill or incline as with most AT cars the car will roll forward as still in gear. With this function is turned on, it wont roll anywhere which is a great feature. Unsure why they havent put these feature into the new GT. Subaru Oz were unable to answer this either?[/quote]

They've gone the other way round, now it's constantly in power mode, and you can the other way and use the "Eco" button. As for the snow feature, I reckon you just need to put the auto into sport and pull off in a different gear as you would in a manual.

With the 5EAT tranny, from a dead standstill you can upshift to "2" and start in second gear, thus reducing the chance of wheel spin under slick road conditions. This is comparable to the "hold' feature described in this forum. I suppose you can say the full auto mode is econ, while the sport mode is intended obviously serves the purpose of spirited driving. In a sense the new 5EAT does offer the same functions as the older Subie tranny.

Archived