LegacyGT.com

Valve cover gaskets!! Need help

So I've got an 05legacy gt that I'm changing the valve cover gaskets on.. I'm working on the passenger side and I've got air box out two hoses that connect to valve cover off all 8 bolts off the cable cover and now I can't see to get the blasted thing out.. seems to keep catching on something. And I do have the plugs out too. Do I need to lift the motor and if I do how high can I and where is a good spot to put the jack. Or are there other options?

You can totally prop up the motor to give you some clearance. I put a 2x4 on the jack and use the head to lift it 2-3" for clearance. Just undo the 14mm bolt on the motor mount. Hoses can take it. The thing is held on by the rtv. Use a little pry tool.

• I Donated Too
It's a lot easier when even doing something like changing the spark plugs with Gex's suggestion. I do it every time. The two 14mm nuts on the engine mounts take moments to remove and then jack up each side of the engine in turn, really easy and quick.

You only need to jack one side at a time, so I found it useful to remove the mount bolt only on the side being raised, and just loosen the other mount bolt so it remains engaged on the last few threads. That way, the engine will stay located on the mount, and easily settles back into position when you lower it again.

• I Donated Too
Never ever had a problem with the engine not locating back when done. Would concern me more to leave the nuts on one side when jacking up the other side. Fine to leave both on I guess to limit movement but I don't have spacer plates or ever seen any on other cars so not sure what those are for. Things to think about anyway and now the next time I do this you know the damn engine won't go down properly for me and I will be cursing for the hours it takes me to wrestle it back into position. Thanks for that.

Archived