LegacyGT.com

Changed Air/Fuel & O2 sensor, still have a CEL (P0031, P0037)

Hello fellow Legacy owners,

My car was giving me a check engine light for a P0031 and a P0037 code. I finally decided to change both sensors (air/fuel sensor and the oxygen sensor). However after clearing the codes and starting the car back up, the CEL turns back on with the same codes... Does anyone have an idea why this would happen?

Alexander

How did you clear the codes?

The Check Engine Light will reset itself after three normal driving cycles (IOW the condition was not detected during a full driving cycle three times).

If the CEL does not reset, you might want to test your wiring. You might suspect a broken wire or short circuit. Maybe a wire melted and is touching ground. If you have a multimeter, you can see if you are getting battery voltage on the O2 sensor heater circuit a few seconds after the car has started.

Hope that helps.

How did you clear the codes?

The Check Engine Light will reset itself after three normal driving cycles (IOW the condition was not detected during a full driving cycle three times).

If the CEL does not reset, you might want to test your wiring. You might suspect a broken wire or short circuit. Maybe a wire melted and is touching ground. If you have a multimeter, you can see if you are getting battery voltage on the O2 sensor heater circuit a few seconds after the car has started.

Hope that helps.

I cleared them using an eBay OBD2 scanner. I guess I will try to use the car for a couple days and see if the CEL resets. If not, I guess I will have to start checking wires.

Btw, do you have any reference to your statement of 3 normal driving cycles for a CEL reset?

Thanks for your input

...do you have any reference to your statement of 3 normal driving cycles for a CEL reset?

Factory Service Manual, DTC Detection Criteria

Search for "vacation pix" if you don't have them, they will help.

Archived