LegacyGT.com

Post rebuild, what to do next?

I replaced the motor in my 2008 OBXT [MT] with a remanufactured item [long block] and had a local shop do the install. I just didn't have the time nor the resources to deal with the whole process. I have rebuilt motorcycle engines in the past but that is a significant difference in scale and complexity.

The installation was done well [thanks, Bill Kim, Backlick Road Service Center]. The motor seems to be ok too. I do not think that it is tuned very well and it is a bit noisy until fully warmed up, nothing tragic sounding tough. I now have a bit over 1k on this motor.

Changing oil is obvious, but will valve adjustment need to be checked? Are there other things that will need to be done? Should this be done by a Dealer or by a specialty shop? I really want this to be done right as I now have so much invested in this vehicle that I will be keeping it for a very long time.

Are there any good shops that know Subarus well in the Northern Virginia area? Preferably inside the beltway, Manassas is a long way out.

Thanks for your input

OK, I'll take a shot at this.

Do you have some reason to suspect that there were shortcuts taken in the reman? If not, the first place I would look for rough running or tuning issues would be on the bolt-on side of things, where the mechanics moved your gear over from the old engine. A small vacuum or exhaust leak, for instance, can lead to all sorts of running issues that can be quite annoying to diagnose. Of course, that's not to say every reman is a good one. Just keep in mind that opening the engine up at this stage can introduce a whole new set of problems and complications.

If you are concerned about the sounds, have someone who knows these engines well take a listen, if necessary when cold. Internal sounds that go away when the engine warms up are not typical for stock motors -- they are built tight -- but what constitutes 'noise' is in the ear of the listener.

Thanks you gentlemen.

Nice to know that checking the valves is not a major issue, though not exactly lift the hood and take a look. I will investigate further.

I believe that the reman was done well, though it was a rather short, long block, no cam covers nor oil pan nor timing belt cover. Had an exhaust leak upstream of the turbo, now fixed. I remember well vacuum leaks in a Vega, a real clusterfoo. And, opening up an engine can be asking for trouble, learned that before the Vega.

The noises I think I hear sound like loose tappets, but I wouldn't want to bet on it.

I think that taking it to someone who knows Subi's is my best option, just not sure who at this time. Would prefer to keep it within a 40 minute drive, in NVa that isn't very far. Is a dealer a good choice? Farrish in Fairfax seems ok, any rumours?

This is my third Subi, the '06 OBS now sold was a great commuter and boat/oar hauler [rowing shells]. #2, an '04 2.5RS is with my college attending son, survived a 10k road trip , and is still loved.

Archived