LegacyGT.com

Shifting technique

thejazzcat

Hey everyone,

I feel as if I definitely have a feel for the clutch, transmission, and power that my car is imbibed with - at least under normal street driving.

However, I have noticed that when doing hard acceleration, I seem to have a problem with the car bucking in between shifts from first to second. It's not an engine type of bucking, but rather the feel of sudden acceleration followed by an abrupt shift which stops that acceleration temporarily.

Does anyone have any shifting tips from first to second during hard acceleration that might make the shift smoother? I have noticed the stock 5spd transmission is a bit notchy, an I perhaps simply not shifting in to the next gear quickly enough? This is my first car with this kind of power is this just the nature of having all that hp and torque under the hood?

FYI, I do not have a short throw shifter or anything, just the standard "joystick".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shifting is a complex thing, and each time you shift you get a lot of things happening at the same time. You have engine mounts, flywheel mass, back-pressure against the turbo when you release the gas pedal and a number of things.

Without logging the event it may be hard to say exactly what's happening and how you should rectify it. Some ideas though:

• Stiffer engine and gearbox mounts.
  • An engine tune.
  • Training on the shifting technique, and not only clutch and stick but also throttle control.
  • A BOV (Yes, it's ricey but they exist for a reason).
  • Different clutch.
  • Lighter flywheel.
  • Sequential gearbox.

Notice that the throttle is electronically controlled and it means that it may actually not follow the gas pedal proportionally but depend on the tune of the engine so what you may experience is the throttle shutting the flow.

453747.png

Shifting is a complex thing, and each time you shift you get a lot of things happening at the same time. You have engine mounts, flywheel mass, back-pressure against the turbo when you release the gas pedal and a number of things.

Without logging the event it may be hard to say exactly what's happening and how you should rectify it. Some ideas though:

• Stiffer engine and gearbox mounts.
  • An engine tune.
  • Training on the shifting technique, and not only clutch and stick but also throttle control.
  • A BOV (Yes, it's ricey but they exist for a reason).
  • Different clutch.
  • Lighter flywheel.
  • Sequential gearbox.

Notice that the throttle is electronically controlled and it means that it may actually not follow the gas pedal proportionally but depend on the tune of the engine so what you may experience is the throttle shutting the flow.

Thanks ehsnils for the reply. I have thought about it a bit more, and I think I am actually experiencing excessive squat on my rear suspension on acceleration, and when I shift, the weight of the car transfers back towards neutral, causing a bucking type sensation that I was describing. I think I may need to replace my rear suspension (never done that I can tell, almost 115k tells me they probably need to be done.

Does that sound like a reasonable explanation to you?

I don't see how any normal wear and tear on components is causing what you describe. Assuming that you really are skilled with clutch an throttle, are you sure you are not experiencing rev limiter or overboost cutout?

Definitely not a rev limiter situation. I am competent with a manual, I wouldn't say skilled. It's been a few years since I've had a car with a manual transmission.

I am not sure what over boost cut would feel like but it certainly doesn't feel like I imagine it would. My gauge shows my max attained boost around 15psi with a Cobb stage 1 ots, which I understand is on par with what's expected.

The third possibility is that I am simply not used to a car with a lot of power (or a car with awd), and that type of weight shift and gallop on acceleration is normal. I've only ever owned NA engines, and certainly not in this class of car.

Thanks ehsnils for the reply. I have thought about it a bit more, and I think I am actually experiencing excessive squat on my rear suspension on acceleration, and when I shift, the weight of the car transfers back towards neutral, causing a bucking type sensation that I was describing. I think I may need to replace my rear suspension (never done that I can tell, almost 115k tells me they probably need to be done.

Does that sound like a reasonable explanation to you?

You should in that case replace the springs/shocks all around the car including the bushings and then do a wheel alignment. But update of gearbox and engine mounts as well as rear differential mounts should also be done.

A fresh suspension makes a huge difference in how the car feels to drive.

453747.png

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey al, realized I never came back with an update here. It was indeed my suspension - I finally got it replaced and the bucking is gone entirely. :) suspension was beyond toast.

Archived