LegacyGT.com

2016 legacy 2.5i limited Canadian model..Compass?

Noticed in manual I "should" have a compass in rear view mirror..but my mirror doesn't have a compass button..so either manual is wrong or my car was installed with wrong mirror

Any Canadians here with 16 2.5i limited have this compass? Car is loaded otherwise

Does having NAV change rear view mirror?

Apparently, Canadian models do not have the compass. Probably too much compass declination (a.k.a. variation) at high latitudes between magnetic north and true north.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Apparently, Canadian models do not have the compass. Probably too much compass declination (a.k.a. variation) at high latitudes between magnetic north and true north.

That is funny....if it were true about the compass declination etc...

My GM car has a perfectly working compass to diffuse your theory though

My GM car has a perfectly working compass ...

The compass itself continues to work properly ... i.e. "pointing" to magnetic north. The limitation is most drivers' inability to correctly interpret what it's telling them when the declination exceeds about 15 degrees.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

My 2015 has a compass and can be calibrated for our region so even Canadians can understand it, eh?

Maybe if you have the NAV package (I don't) you don't get the compass.

https://m.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebSiteID=282&WebPageID=19397&Range=Legacy&ModelYear=2017&CarID=798

That's my guess NAV takes away compass in mirror..doesn't make sense..but who knows..I sent off email to subaru canada just to confirm

Like this..which I know doesn't have a compass..manual doesn't show this configuration anywhere I could find..

That is weird...separate on/off buttons for auto-dimming and no compass. I'm sure one with a compass could be swapped in if you desired but that's obviously added cost on your end.

I wonder if they mistakenly installed a part intended for another market or something?

Noticed in manual I "should" have a compass in rear view mirror..but my mirror doesn't have a compass button..so either manual is wrong or my car was installed with wrong mirror

Any Canadians here with 16 2.5i limited have this compass? Car is loaded otherwise

Does having NAV change rear view mirror?

On mine since I have NAV: you access the compass in your multi-display by pushing up or down on the buttons on the lower left underside of your steering wheel. You can cycle these fairly easily while driving; but I would do it the 1st time while parked.

while many say :rtfm: I spent some of my time before buying just sitting & pressing buttons to see if any of my symbol guesses were spot on. -- I know everyone did not do this, but one of my main criteria before purchasing was a car that we found comfortable to sit in [both front & rear] for over an hour at a time. That led to playing with buttons & multimedia system as something to occupy our time.

I saw this mirror on cars101.com, or at least one with identical buttons. So apparently it was used in last gen Premiums and has the backup camera display in it hence the lack of compass.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback13-mirror8.jpg

Archived