LegacyGT.com

4th gen rear suspension

scottmcphee

I've got a rear camber/toe issue wearing rubber too fast on the right rear corner - inner edge (1/3 of width). And the car is doing too much rear-steering especially on half-and-half slick surfaces... getting real squirrelly requiring white knuckled driving on winter roads. Ugh.

It's original everything back there and 205,000 km on the clock!! The car hasn't even been aligned since factory. No kidding. This is the first sign of irregular or premature tire wear. We have rough roads here, lots of pot holes... So, pretty impressive performance to have this come up just now after all these years!

Anyway, before alignment new tires are required. Before I just put new rubber on, I want to fix potential issues with suspension to prevent a repeat of this problem and immediate re-wear on new tires.

Plan:

I'm going to replace both rear strut assemblies (whole) (one is leaking a bit of oil but both still perform de-bounce functions quite well). The wagon has always been a bit squat back there.. I'm aware of saggy butt shims for springs but hoping new struts take care of ride height a bit. I'll be happy with stock height.

I'm also replacing both sides: (3) upper link, the bushings are starting to get off-center so I think this is going to help with camber. The wear on tire I'm seeing is inner edge on right rear corner. Of course we see all the wear after a heavily loaded trip to the mountains.. max capacity.

Camber issues and toe issues are related so I'm also replacing both (4) rear link and toe eccentric bolts on spec, because I want the alignment guy to have something to work with.

Archived