LegacyGT.com

Are Coilovers Problems?

For my 2009 Outback I'm thinking of coilover shock/spring replacements because, I assume, I can DIY at home without the use of a spring compressor, and I gain adjustability. I would love to reign in that bouncy too-soft back end. But I am not looking for a rally/race car

How problematic are these systems like BC Racing Coilovers (BR Type, made for Outback's street ride height) - in everyday street use, for years of use?

Are these durable designs?

Do alignment shops willingly service them; and what about tire wear?

Thanks!

...OR,

Plan B: "Complete Strut Assemblies" (non-adjustable) that are just cheap OEM-like replacements, easy to install without a spring compressor. I don't know if the 2004 Outback's complete rear spring/shock assembly will appropriately replace my 2009 as reportedly the shock only does. And if so, will it improve the ride and handling? :lol: That would be cool. I called one company and they told me that they refused to sell a mixed set.

(cross-posted from another forum, sorry if you saw this before)

Spring compressors are 30 bucks....https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-25550-MacPherson-Spring-Compressor/dp/B000CMDPLM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1483467054&sr=8-4&keywords=spring+compressor+tool

I have been using those for years with no issues. Sure it's a little slow. But they are not hard to use.

A coilover is not as durable as a strut/spring. Usually they require rebuilds every 30k miles. You should not have an issues with an alignment shop if you have coilovers. If you do, go to a different alignment shop.

Tire wear is 100% dependent on your alignment.

I assume the other forum was Subaruoutback.org? They have a great FAQ on improving the Outbacks suspension.

What is it about adjust-ability that appeals to you? What are you going to adjust?

Archived