LegacyGT.com

Exhaust leak came back....grrrrr

mwiener2

I had an exhaust leak between my UP and exhaust header. I got copper gaskets and that seemed to fix it. But now it's back again after maybe 400 miles.

Does the same thing it did the first time. Loud squealing hissing while cold, then goes away once warmed up. But this time it's not as loud and goes away faster. I tried to tighten up the bolts some more, but they don't get any tighter. I'm getting pissed off now.....

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I had an exhaust leak between my UP and exhaust header. I got copper gaskets and that seemed to fix it. But now it's back again after maybe 400 miles.

Does the same thing it did the first time. Loud squealing hissing while cold, then goes away once warmed up. But this time it's not as loud and goes away faster. I tried to tighten up the bolts some more, but they don't get any tighter. I'm getting pissed off now.....

Bummer man. I feel for you. Did you look at Jeremy's (Crucial) install instructions. Seems as though he goes about tighening a little differently. Might help...might not?!

^ Some say that this, aka "the Vishnu instructions," will work better - I'd say to give this a try, considering, that you're getting so many problems.

Aside from that, I'd also say to try to re-do the bottom area according to Crucial's recommendations - to un-bolt BOTH of the exhaust manifolds.

It looks like this area is troublesome on your vehicle, with your particular components, mwiener2 - probably a combination of differing manufacturing tolerances. I'd truly just tear-down completely and re-do everything, as it's now getting to the point where the recurrences are more of a headache than just one weekend day spent wrenching.

:(

Best of luck, bro!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived