LegacyGT.com

CVT Rev Limiter behavior in Drive

Hi there,

New to the forums, hello hello.

So I'm up in Ontario and own a 2013 Subaru legacy 2.5i Touring CVT.

Earlier this year about May or so, I started noticing an odd humming droning noise while accelerating on the highway at around 4,000RPM. This came and went, and eventually began to be a constant any time that at 4,000RPM the noise would cause a humming/droning type sound. I'm not noticing any performance loss, just what feels like a limiter.

So doing some reading/research, I understand that this car has a built in rev limiter to 4,000RPM while in Park or Neutral. Finding a video online of not exactly my car, but someone who replicated the exact same behavior, replicates the behavior in Park/Neutral. The noise you hear in the video, is relatively the same thing I'm getting but while driving, whether accelerating from stop, or at highway speeds for overtaking.

https://youtu.be/va-4Oufjagg?t=2m23s

So, having visited the dealer and worked with them, Subaru of Canada approved a new transmission. So they took the car, and replaced the transmission with a new crate tranny, with all the latest improvements but still a 1st generation (I believe that is what CVT I run).

Low and behold, aside from the car running much better (so thinking there must have been something up with the trans), the noise at 4,000RPM is still there.

Car has just over 70,000KM total.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? If anyone here has a 2013 legacy CVT, and could try and replicate the noise on your end that'd be great.

I'm starting to go crazy not knowing what this is. And I've driven several other Subaru's with the CVT and none do this sort of thing. I am thinking this may require a re-flash/update to the transmission computer?

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Im not sure what noise you were referring to as the vid you posted was of an owner showing off their borla exhaust which would increase noise everywhere not just 4krpm.

If you were hitting some type of limiter, then the car wouldn't accelerate past that point. The engine would just keep bouncing off the limiter. Make a video of what your car is doing then maybe we can help a little more. As far as noises there are plenty that a car can make, buzzing in itself could be anything from a worn torque converter to a loose heat shield.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2013 2.5i CVT with 70k miles (112,654 km). I don't recall any noise except for high RPM when starting a cold start. Or when I give it to much gas the RPM will shoot up and the speedometer (power) is lacking behind. Ever since I replace the front and rear differential fluid (The rear diff fluid was black) it seems the power got much better.

Like I said I never notice any noise at 4k RPM before. It did took me awhile to get adjusted to the CVT.

Archived