LegacyGT.com

Episode VI: Return of The Electrical Problems

A year ago, I took my car up to Tahoe. The car was misfiring the whole way there and back, and I discovered the coil pack node connecting to the passenger front(#1) spark plug wire was corroded with carbon buildup. The spark plug wire was bent inside, and I figured that the last person to change the wires must have bent it, and the poor connection caused arcing or something else. I replaced the coil pack & the spark plug wires (not the spark plugs) and the misfires went away. Read more here.

A few months ago I noticed a small amount of corrosion on the same node of the new coil pack . I replaced the spark plugs hoping that it would solve the problem.

At this point, I have a new coil pack, spark wires, and spark plugs.

The problem has gotten WORSE even with new components. :confused::spin:

I took pictures of components and compiled it into an imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/j1GSP

I am not getting a misfire, but how can this happen?? I am thinking it might be because I did not replace the spark plugs at the same time as the wires and the coil pack. Maybe it's the connector?

I noticed (just now) a super high pitched whining noise coming from the area around the coil pack. I couldn't pinpoint the source but I think it may be the connector, which would make sense.

Related: I had trouble with my alternator and my battery before. The headlights still dim sometimes but not nearly as much since I replaced the alternator and did some grounding work. Read more here.

So if any of you subaru jedis :jedi: know what's happening, I would REALLY appreciate it. Thanks guys.

Check your engine grounding straps. I believe there are 3 or 4 total that connect to the engine. Additionally, make sure you're dealing the spark plug boots and the coil connector with dielectric grease to keep moisture out. I see you're in the Bay Area, which would explain excessive humidity building up on your coils. The high voltage of the coil pack creates a temperature inversion that attracts humidity as it cools.

Archived