LegacyGT.com

Quality Android head unit for 5th gen?

JPH102900

Looking for an aftermarket head unit for my 2010 Legacy. Right now, car just has the stock head unit. I am really wanting to upgrade to a unit that would have bluetooth and connect to my android phone and enable me to use google maps and other apps. Most of what I have been able to find has received bad reviews or are off brand Chinese units. Any recommendations on quality units that others have used? Hoping to spend $300, but could go as high as $500.

Car only has 50k miles and I am in need of a tech upgrade. I plan to drive this car for another 8 or 10 years, so I can't live with a stock unit that long.

I'm getting a 4200NEX put in here once some harnesses come in for stock sub and steering wheel controls. Anyway, I looked a lot into Android Auto, and even put the emulator on my computer to see what the interface was like for myself. It looks like Android Auto is getting things right. It does lock your phone out though, so as to prevent you from using it, so there's some debate about whether or not that's a good thing, but all in all, over the last year it's had many improvements. It also limits how many times you can make selections (to keep you from looking away from your phone for too long), however it only does this when the app thinks your moving. I'm not sure if the HU tells the phone if parking brake is applied and whatever, or if the phone asses this via GPS, so something to keep in mind. Look at the reviews on APP radio in the playstore though, and I think you'll come to the same conclusion that it's pretty worthless, especially on samsung phones. IF you go to crutfield.com and search units and use the filter option for "Android Auto", you'll see about 6 units. I think they have two Kenwood units that start at like $499, maybe a little cheaper for refurbished ones, and the next one at $699 ($599 after rebate as mentioned), but then it goes up to 900+ after that. I WAS going to get the Pioneer 4800BS put it, and can stream BT, make calls, and all that stuff, but DOES NOT have android auto. This unit can b had for $350, have a 7 inch screen and so on. It can use App Radio too, but after a lot of reading and some pretty bad reviews (especially from samsung users), it would seem that mirrorlink, mirrorcast, and all that sort of linking to phone will be outdated very soon, especially now that Android Auto is in full swing, so, I thought about potentially my next phone, and that that system would be outdated within two years, and I won't be able to use it for maps and such, and essentially it's only perk will be BT link, and a big screen. Sorry I'm borderline ranting here, anyway, that's why I upgraded my order to the 4200NEX, which is still entry level for the NEX units, but it'll do everything I want it too. ALSO, the NEX has HD radio for what that's worth. I've never used that, but apparently it's good stuff. And the 4200NEX has room for upgrades that I'll probably never use because of Android, like for example having a standalone navigation. I think the 5800NEX has built in NAV, but goes for like $1000-11000. All this to say crutchfield, though I didn't order from them, makes for a good source to see what's available. Hope this rant was helpful. Oh, make sure you get the 3-pulse brake override chip thing. You can't just ground the brake on most modern systems like this to bypass video restrictions (and maybe accessing your phone normally without unplugging it for android auto). Android Auto connects the HU with your phone via bluetooth AND USB.

Archived