LegacyGT.com

Rebuild the 91 or get something newer.

I have a 91 legacy wagon that has begun. To leak a great deal of oil. I'm the second owner and all this car has had done to it is a water pump,alternator, starter and clutch. It has 365k on it.

I have dropped it at a garage to get an estimate to get the leaks fixed. Other than that and some slop in the shifter linkage,there is nothing wrong.

I am out today looking at buying another and it seems like every one in my price range has a statement about new he'd gaskets and timing belts.

Is there something vastly different about the 2.2 that should make me consider just rebuilding it?

I looked at a 98 a few minutes ago with only 114k on its 2nd timing belt (one at 110k and one at 114k)

Thanks

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Hi,

Not sure I'm following as there appear to be a few typos.

How many of the 365K miles are under your command?

The T-belt is a maintenance item every 105K miles.

Most of these will leak oil after the miles get up there.

If you done oil changes on a regular basis and NOT let it run low on oil or ever overheat, it may be good for many more miles. Fix the oil leaks and run it.

But depends on how long you've had and how well the 1st owner maintained it. W/out prior history and those miles I'd try to find a lower-mileage engine, reseal it and keep driving it. Used 2.2's should be about $500??

The 2.2 from '90-'96 was the same ('96 went to single-port heads w/roller rockers); '97-'98 had different pistons and IM, but functionally the same. '90-'96 were NON-interference so if the Tbelt breaks no harm done (usually); '97-'98 were INTERference. Head Gaskets do fail on these, just not as often as the 2.5 engine.

I just got of the phone with the original owner. He couldn't remember a timing belt and if it was, it was at the 100 k . He did say CV joints was something he forgot to tell me about.

Supposed to get a price today from the shop but haven't heard anything. I think I'm gonna go for it.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Archived