LegacyGT.com

Heat not working on driver side

I see many posts on here about blockage in heater core on passenger side, but not one on driver side which is my issue. I decided to flush core anyway, I probably flushed both directions about 7 times with final flush using CLR. Still not working

Dealer said there is a TSB about replacing in cabin air filter for this issue (seems odd and I couldn't find any TSB on that). I can't remember ever changing my in cabin filter so I am sure it is a wreck.

Outside of these two things, my last guess is the actuator on that side. Can anyone think of anything else I should try?

There is only one heater core. If you're getting the desired air temperature on the passenger side but not the driver side, your driver-side vent is not operating. Probably the actuator, conceivably control wiring or something stuck in it. Some good scan tools will pull the codes to verify the actuator failure. A used LaunchTech CRP123 is a great value. Or you can just try replacing the actuator.

http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2005_Legacy25L-TURBO-5MT-4WDGT-Limited-Sedan/_54104_6025983/HEATER-SYSTEM-HEATER-UNIT--COOLING-UNIT/B13-720-02.html

I may look into that scan tool. Could use one of those any how.

At this point I am fairly certain it is actuator. I decided to try switch coolant flow to heater core for a week and will see if that does anything.

Not sure if this helps, but I tried turning both zones up to 85 degrees, switched air flow to fresh air, and, on this setting, air is neither cold nor hot on driver side and hot on passenger side. When I set air flow to recirc, it immediately turns driver side to ice cold air and there is little difference to heat on passenger side (both still set at 85 degrees).

Archived