LegacyGT.com

Subaru and car stereo.

theGeneral

A few years back I was driving in my Forester with a friend, he looked at the head unit and said "thats one of ours". I asked him what he meant and he said that the P code on the stereo meant that it was made by Panasonic (he is the president of one of Panasonic's TV divisions).

While driving my father in laws Forester last week I saw that his speakers had Harman Kardon displayed on a little badge. That got me to thinking and wondering who makes the stock head unit for my Legacy (2013). Did some research and found this:

"Standard on Limited models, and optional on Premium models, is a 440 W, 9-speaker Harman/Kardon audio system using Dolby Pro Logic II technology and DTS Digital Sound is standard, with Bluetooth and iPod capability, and an optional 8 in (203 mm) voice activated GPS touch screen navigation system. A Harman/Kardon sourced stereo with a single disc in-dash CD player and SRS Circle Surround sound is the standard sound system offered with four speakers on all other models. A separate Bluetooth wireless package with voice recognition, called Blueconnect, is available optionally on all trim packages without the GPS/stereo package, installed in the center of the dashboard below the standard sound system, and is not offered internationally. "

So even though there are no Harman Kardon badges on my car the stereo was made by H/K. Since I have really enjoyed the sound quality of the stock unit that doesn't surprise me. What does surprise me is the fact that Subaru doesn't advertise it as such. H/K makes really good stuff, surprised Subie doesn't advertise it.

It's a marketing decision to get people to buy the higher level cars.

A lot of stuff already exists in lower level cars but it's disabled in the software. Find the right parameter and you may even be able to get stuff intended for coming years - but it may not work well yet.

Some features takes years to develop.

453747.png

i hate when they word it that way tho... "A Harman/Kardon sourced stereo..." doesnt mean its one of their actual models they sell, just that H/K sourced it for them.

but i agree, the sound is good.

Confused, you're saying that HK could be giving Subaru a stereo made my another manufacturer? :confused:

Confused, you're saying that HK could be giving Subaru a stereo made my another manufacturer? :confused:

Yes. Sort of. Most likely, Harmon Kardon will design the head unit, and then outsource the production to another factory. Which, frankly, is no different than the Harmon Kardon branded head unit for Subaru, but as Nils pointed out, it's a marketing decision.

Or the point twisty might be making could be that you couldn't go out and buy an equal unit off the shelf somewhere.

Yes. Sort of. Most likely, Harmon Kardon will design the head unit, and then outsource the production to another factory. Which, frankly, is no different than the Harmon Kardon branded head unit for Subaru, but as Nils pointed out, it's a marketing decision.

Or the point twisty might be making could be that you couldn't go out and buy an equal unit off the shelf somewhere.

Gotcha, interesting.

That's not unusual - rebranding occurs frequently.

To find the real manufacturer you may have to look at the PCB and custom ICs.

453747.png

"Harman maintains major operations in the Americas, Europe, as well as Asia and markets its products under more than twenty brands — including AKG Acoustics, AMX, Crown Audio, Harman/Kardon, Infinity, JBL, JBL Professional, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Martin, Revel, Soundcraft and Studer."

im saying that HK could have subsidiary brands that arent as good they could be giving instead of their higher end models. im familiar with a few of the brands listed in the quote, but not all of them. id be happy with a JBL system, but there are many quality levels for JBL as well.

• 4 months later...
"Harman maintains major operations in the Americas, Europe, as well as Asia and markets its products under more than twenty brands — including AKG Acoustics, AMX, Crown Audio, Harman/Kardon, Infinity, JBL, JBL Professional, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Martin, Revel, Soundcraft and Studer."

im saying that HK could have subsidiary brands that arent as good they could be giving instead of their higher end models. im familiar with a few of the brands listed in the quote, but not all of them. id be happy with a JBL system, but there are many quality levels for JBL as well.

LOL good point twisty! It is kind of like flat screen TVs, there are only four or five plants in the world that make them. They make the screens then sell them to different companies that put all of the plastic crap around it and the bells and whistles (programing etc.). Many people don't know that when shopping for a TV at Best Buy they could get the "no name house brand" that actually has the same screen as a Panasonic or LG.

Archived