LegacyGT.com

Options for possible Bad Cat? 2008 2.5l 88k Mileage!

I'm trying to figure the best route with replacing the cat. Getting it tested today to confirm, but I've gotten the CAT Def code error before and just keep resetting via the battery. This morning coming home from work I can hear what sounds like metal popping/clicking noises while driving and lots of rattling noises.

Check Engine light keeps coming on over and over. Only thing I'm concerned with is the O2 sensor could cause the code. I'm pretty sure the Cat is dead, 88K Mileage and driven it from Alaska to Kansas. Also I was told if your CAT is failing, it could cause oil consumption issues with your motor? Not sure on this one if someone could confirm this.

Any input would is welcome if maybe you guys think I'm over thinking this.

Easiest answer? bolt-in cat delete test pipe. However, that's illegal and will cause problems if you have inspections.

other options are a high-flow replacement or an oem replacement. Don't overthink it, pull it out of the car and shake it around to see if it's broken up in there.

I could suck start a snow blower.

My 2009 legacy has always consumed oil, from the first time I checked the oil level at 3k.

The rattling could just be a heat shield. The metallic popping and clicking noises while driving is interesting, not sure what those could be.

I would replace the rear oxygen sensor before replacing the cat.

My 2009 legacy has always consumed oil, from the first time I checked the oil level at 3k.

The rattling could just be a heat shield. The metallic popping and clicking noises while driving is interesting, not sure what those could be.

I would replace the rear oxygen sensor before replacing the cat.

I'm with him, my rattles before the engine went were the STi up 2 piece heat shield breaking a weld at the top and moving around a bit.

Archived