LegacyGT.com

Rear End grinder

Crom

Hey guys, I'm getting a grinding/scraping sound from my rear end when making turns. It seems to be louder when turning right, but it's there for both directions. I inspected the rear diff. for leaks, but could not see any. Any ideas? Is that what a failing wheel bearing would sound like? I've not a clue... Pete 97 Legacy GT, AT, 69k miles

Just to be on the safe side, I would definitely see a proctologist about your rear end making grinding/scraping sound. :lol: Seriously, I would have the diff inspected as well as the wheel bearings. Is it dead center or can you tell if it is coming a bit from the left or right side? That would definitely be an indicator.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 1998 Legacy wagon auto. I had a problem with noise coming from the rear when making tight turns. I took it in and they "cleaned" the cluthes in the rear differantial and put new oil in and it was OK. Try talking the fuse out under the hood which will put it in 2 wheel drive and see if the problems goes away. if it does then it is the rear differantail Good luck Simba

Hmm unsure but it could be several things, the gears between 2 wheel and AWD as suggested by Simba or it could even be something as single as the squellers on the back brakes. I would get it checked out ASAP to avoid any further damage in the future.

Archived