LegacyGT.com

cosmaline??

The rear of my new 2017 Subi is covered with what looked like water spots. Tries, compound, polish, clay, kerosene, acetone, vingar etc... what will remove this stuff if it even is cosmoline?? Some was on rear glass too but a wet razor removed it. Obviously can t use that on the paint. Thank you.

I'd be curious to see a picture. Cosmoline would have come off using some of the things you tried, and the only place I know of cosmoline being used is near the lug nuts, but maybe I'm wrong and there are more places. It could have flung onto the rear I guess, but depends on where you're referring to.

Yea, I m being to think it s something else but are lost for ideas???? I have seen what you refer to on my 08 Outback I had. This does look different.

Site is having some pic issues, sorry. It s the rear hatch door, bumper area. Looks like very small water spots that dry. Kinda whiteish, dry, raised if that helps.

http://carcaresolution.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-to-remove-white-spots-on-car-paint.html

Maybe this????

So after some research I hope what I found may help someone else.

It was not cosmoline. It was hard water stains that start to etch the paint due to the chemicals or dirt in the water and allowing them to bake on the car.

It was on the paint and the black plastic moldings.

I first tried white vinegar on a soft cloth and let it soak and worked it in. It took some spots off the paint(maybe 1/4) and totally on the plastic.

Pulled out my porter cable and some light polish. After a little work the spots came out of the paint. I didn t trust the dealer as this is how it was delivered to me in the first place. I guess I m more OCD than them....

Archived