LegacyGT.com

Poor radio reception

Hi all,

I have a i4 2010 Legacy. My radio reception is in and out and horrible. I have stock headunit (no Sirus, Navi, or HK), basic one. I have regular tints (no metallic). The wires connected to the HU are intact as far as I can see.

I dont know where else to look and dont know where wire break can be in the legacy.

I also saw a couple of sockets behind the HU but didn't see any other plug. Possibly for Sirius and other stuff. At the same time, the original HU was swapped with this current one. Both are stock Subarus tho. Any possibility that this HU reception is crap?

Any help is appreciated.

The radio has an active antenna, and that means that the antenna itself has an amplifier. The antenna is one of the wires in the rear window.

If you have a tinted window that may be the problem.

See also these threads:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ob-no-am-radio-poor-fm-reception-221847.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wagons-beware-tailgate-electricals-161086.html?t=161086&referrerid=48988

453747.png

The radio has an active antenna, and that means that the antenna itself has an amplifier. The antenna is one of the wires in the rear window.

If you have a tinted window that may be the problem.

See also these threads:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ob-no-am-radio-poor-fm-reception-221847.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wagons-beware-tailgate-electricals-161086.html?t=161086&referrerid=48988

I didnt tint the back window but the doors so I dont think that's the issue. I don;t know where the antenna amp or wiring are.

At the same time, the original HU was swapped with this current one. Both are stock Subarus tho. Any possibility that this HU reception is crap?

I didnt tint the back window but the doors so I dont think that's the issue. I don;t know where the antenna amp or wiring are.

At the same time, the original HU was swapped with this current one. Both are stock Subarus tho. Any possibility that this HU reception is crap?

As I did read in another thread - one of the main reasons why poor radio reception occurs is that people forget to connect the power to the antenna amplifier to the head unit. It shall be a blue wire (but it may vary so don't be too sure). That shall be connected to "power ant" on the head unit.

The antenna amplifier is near the window under the headliner.

453747.png

As I did read in another thread - one of the main reasons why poor radio reception occurs is that people forget to connect the power to the antenna amplifier to the head unit. It shall be a blue wire (but it may vary so don't be too sure). That shall be connected to "power ant" on the head unit.

The antenna amplifier is near the window under the headliner.

I read a couple of posts about that issue before making this thread. However, this is the stock unit which is identical to the replaced one. This means the wiring r pnp. But thank you for the reminder. At this point, id think its a defective unit since it came from a wrecked car.

Just make sure that it wasn't forgotten, even if it's plug&play it's easy to miss a single connector given that there's quite a bit of wiring in the dashboard.

And if the radio appears to work after install then stuff like that isn't followed up.

453747.png

Just make sure that it wasn't forgotten, even if it's plug&play it's easy to miss a single connector given that there's quite a bit of wiring in the dashboard.

And if the radio appears to work after install then stuff like that isn't followed up.

That is a valid point. I will recheck the wiring when I have a bit more time. Thank you !

• 2 weeks later...

Archived