LegacyGT.com

Official Firearm Thread V3

SBT

Friend of mine is liquidating most of his gun collection.

Mostly old military surplus rifles that were cheap when he bought them so he was really picky, and has nice ones. He has 22 Springfield M1903’s including one original unissued M1903 A4 sniper rifle which he intends to keep. Also keeping his original Sharps, Winchester 1866 Yellowboy musket, 1895 Winchester in .405 WCF (originally owned by General Leonard Wood, a friend of T. Roosevelt) and a few others like his pre a1 Colt 1911.

Most of this will be going to an auction house, but I have the option to buy some of it. For example he has two Mauser M66’s that are pristine never fired, one in .30-06 and one in 7mm Remington. Told me $1950 for the pair plus the slings, and one is scoped. Yay or nay on that? Should I buy up 1903A1’s instead?

Do it!!

my birthday was Sunday so my son and I built him a new rifle using spare 10/22 parts. The HK G36 is his favorite weapon in most games and it was my first issued patrol rifle until work decided to standardize on the AR so it’s special to both of us.

DC03_D5_DD-_B88_E-4821-_B29_B-53_CE8390_C0_D6.jpg

I did 2 things..... I finally got rid of the plastic sights on the Glock 17. Went Trijicon HD XR. After going to the range to try and fine tune it I made another stop. Ended up walking out of the New Gander in the old Gander building with a S&W 669. Always loved the 6906 and 4505 and even those were hard to find on purpose once they left the local cops use.

The condition of the gun and box screams it was a safe queen. Besides the grips the only visible evidence of mods is the trigger guard. looks like it had a light or laser attached to it.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/th_218D2E57-078E-463A-9C5C-DE2D1E836E7E_zpsbbj3nhjc.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/th_BA6AB048-9DBE-46D6-A88C-F85A2F6DB59F_zpsggi92pif.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/th_557487C5-18CF-49BE-B852-0459FCD1806D_zpsiaulor6o.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/th_B5E63071-9746-4FC9-9C14-DD50D9F65ACC_zpsmwcockqx.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/th_6A3E221B-2C96-48CB-9904-ABB29B3980AF_zpstynfwftl.jpg

And just like that I no longer have it. Had issues and SWT didn't want to tackle them. The shop started milling parts of the slide to fix the issue where the hammer won't fall on the firing pin. End of the day they did more harm than good to the thing. 938 also in preparation to be sent off as it doen't like to keep magazines inside the gun when firing it. Part of the reason I haven't had the energy to work on the LGT, everything I touch breaks lately.

Edited by Merc6

In case anyone cares to know, The Hornady Black 75gr Interlock Ammo for SBR's is legit. It's pricey at $18 per box of 20, but it's legit. No fireballs, no blowback and really good accuracy. I shot sub MOA 25 yards standing with it, and 1" grouping from 100 yards standing as well. What I thought might have been a gimmick is for real, just too bad it's not cheap :(

I can’t complain about Hornady. I shoot the Hornady Black 62 grain .223 regularly in my 16” AR and in the shorty. Always good results, but the 75 gr SBR ammo makes for a great experience when you’re not inhaling blowback the whole time

Actually have one complaint. I can't remember the name of the company maybe HH, anyway they made two rounds. One was for hunting and the other was for blinking or sighting in and they have exactly the same ballistics. Saves a crap ton of money while having fun then when hunting simply switch rounds....would love if hornady did something similar.

For plinking I like using Serbian Ammo, Prvi Partizan. It’s very affordable, I often shoot their 155gr BTHP for target practice with the 308, at .60/round it’s cheaper than some of the 5.56 i shoot. Even their 175gr bthp comes in at .80/round. I’ve never had a misfire or primer strike, brass cased and it shoots clean, no complaints

For plinking I like using Serbian Ammo, Prvi Partizan. It’s very affordable, I often shoot their 155gr BTHP for target practice with the 308, at .60/round it’s cheaper than some of the 5.56 i shoot. Even their 175gr bthp comes in at .80/round. I’ve never had a misfire or primer strike, brass cased and it shoots clean, no complaints

I think you missed my point, you can't plink with one round then go hunting with anouther without re-sighting in. Different bullets have different impact points. I think it was HH that made two different bullets with identical ballistics, no re-sighting required.

No I got your point, i was saying for Plinking/target practice that’s what I use. I don’t really hunt because NJ hunting laws are complex (shocker) but I do competitively shoot. For competitive shooting i’ll use high grade factory ammo or pay a friend to handload for me that knows what they are doing.

If i’m practicing for a match with say my 308, I’ll use the PPU 155gr or 168gr BTHP that I paid .60/rd & .80/rd for their respective loads. Or with my AR15 i’ll buy their 75gr BTHP Match Grade 223 that sells for .70/rd. When i’m doing a match, i’ll spend a little extra money and get something like Black Hills 175gr BTHP (308) and 68gr BTHP (223). I have data for all of these loads and my zeroes aren’t far off from each other. I’ll still fire a couple rounds the day of based on weather, but it’s not extreme adjustments.

• 2 weeks later...

Virginia is more free than Maryland.

Maryland is semi free. They have gun control laws but a lot of them are smoke and mirrors. You need a license to purchase hand guns and they have an approved roster. AR Pistols are mostly illegal to buy, but you can build. NFA Items are approved.

Magazine capacity is 10 rounds, but it is legal to own 30 round mags if you purchase them out of state. That’s a silly law because no matter where you live in Maryland, you’re within an hour drive of Pennsylvania, Delaware, West Virginia or Virginia where you can buy 30 round magazines.

Virginia on the other hand, there are no restrictions. If you want your CCW, you’ll get it. You’d have to ask someone who lives there how long it takes, but they give it to you.

Now if you really want freedom, move to that little part of West Virginia where it meets MD and Northern Virginia. A 4 BR house will cost you 120 grand, it’s a 45 minute drive to DC and it’s constitutional carry concealed or open. That and you can walk around with a loaded AR if you really wanted.

Pennsylvania on the other hand, $20 and 10 minutes of my time at the police station got me a CCW.

Regardless of where you move, the first thing you need to do is buy a suppressor.

Look in to Charles Town, WV (Not Charleston) houses are crazy cheap. You could probably mount a .50 BMG in the bed of your truck and be fine.

LOL. Charles Town is exactly where I was just researching. Need to look into schools.

Well, seeing how the wife is an educator, that does not work so well in my house hold.

Obviously Maryland and Virginia have some of the best schools in the nation. West Virginia being one of, if not the poorest state in the nation has some of the worst. Schools in Charles Town and Harpers Ferry are rated high for W Virginia. Not sure what that means.

But real estate prices seem very good compared to my current situation. I can deal with a 60 - 70 mile commute if my standard of living is that much better. I dont expect to have to work in DC more than a few days a week. The job is based from home as the company has no offices outside of Ca. Chances are I would end up handling projects up and down the east coast and that does not bother me one bit. Work from home a few days a week and then get to take a short trip every couple weeks. Cool by me. I love the east coast country side drives.

I am VERY fond of the 2A situation in W VA. If more DC professionals decide to trade in the hustle and bustle for the country life and a bit of a commute places like Charles Town will explode in value and amenities. Same thing happened where I am at now.

Outdoors activities abound in the area and I would much prefer to raise my daughter in an environment where she has the opportunity to enjoy and learn about the land we inhabit rather than just trample it like they do here. I for one could not be happier to get back into the woods.

I would love a shooting range on my property too. LOL. Demolition Ranch - East.

If I move to W VA, I wont be purchasing just one suppressor, LOL. It would be rather difficult to contain myself at first. Like unleashing a 5 year old at Disney.

WV is great. Virginia has good guns laws too, but the issue you come across in Northern VA is, traffic is so bad that you will want to live close to your office, that cost of living is high. Maybe not California high but it’s high. From WV it’s a drive, but mostly backroads so you won’t deal with the traffic. You can live in Quantico, 45 minutes from DC for very cheap, but you’re likely going to sit in traffic for 2-3 hours each way.

F traffic. Thats all I see now. 1.5 hours to travel 33 miles (each way!). Thats why I ride so much. Lane splitting is legal in Ca.

Back roads from WV sounds good to me. Not looking to spend $800k for a 2 bdrm condo. Rather spend $350k and have a big house and property.

I can high five my neighbor from the bedroom window now. I want to be able to piss in my yard again. Mark my territory.