LegacyGT.com

Official Firearm Thread V3

SBT

^ FWIW, I run a shorter, traditional, stock, better - but I went to a SpeedFeed III because it allows me to keep another 4 rounds onboard.

My reasoning is that the gauge is really my bunker-down gun. In that context, I'm not looking to do with it what I do in training classes, shooting dynamically. I'd rather have the extra ammo available, instead. [ If I'm leaving the room, I'm taking the AR. ] If I ever get around to it, I'm going to shorten it in the manner that this guy did his - http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=298709

That angle makes the barrel look small already.

That's what I keep telling people about my Grinder profile shot. :lol::p

----

Ha I know that feeling also... I'm 5'11" but have long arms and legs too. I haven't actually measured my wing span but buying pants and long sleeve shirts is always an adventure.

My daughter wants a lightweight AR to play with, and I keep wanting to build her one, but we've recently come to the realization that her body is just changing too much, too quickly, for us to be able to lock-down on the build.

I seriously thought we had things locked-in a couple of weeks ago. Today when dry-practicing, all of a sudden, we couldn't get any of my stocks in her pocket. :lol:

She's just going to keep going with her 15-22 for a while, and shoot my semi-lightweight for-fun.

She's only got a couple more years' worth of growing left to do, anyway. :p

Edited by TSi+WRX

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Why? Do you think a 6 hour class somehow makes you a more responsible gun owner?

I agree that part of being a responsible gun owner is having knowledge of what you are doing. At the very least to learn the laws and how they specifically apply to CCW. And yes, I think the classes I took around pistols and laws as they applied to open carry and conceal is part of being a responsible gun owner if you plan to carry. I suppose if you want to just read the laws and think you know how they apply in different scenarios is fine... but going through scenarios in a classroom environment was beneficial. Most people don't think like lawyers... knowing how they will try to use what you said and the procedure you took against you is beneficial.

Edited by 05GT Guru

I present to you the firm of Hutz, Goodman, and Chiles:

http://images.complex.com/complex/image/upload/yokyjzxwtycrcbgp9b1n.gif

http://screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Saul-Goodman.jpg

f8d8edc624784d0a2c773c7c2ad9270e.jpg

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

LOL, Something is better than nothing. At least the range safety video before you take the picture and get the permit. Even the online course like Virginia at a minimum. The VA online test was almost the 10 commandments Remington put in the beginning of the owners manual. Guns are something you don't just give out and be like "Aye, be careful fool" and just let Darwinism happen. I guess the issue being had is if they make the test too hard for people who aren't book smart but totally gun smart?

I'll step down and post pics. Shooting a shotgun indoors was a new experience. 1st round went off and I couldn't see the target anymore. I wonder if that's what it felt like to fight back then with muskets. I ran a few different boxes of stuff to see what I want to keep shooting. The Vital Shok rounds seem to hurt me more than the 3" sluggers. I gotta say the Magpul stock helped out a bunch compared to the other shot guns I fired last month. I got the stock sleeve to see how it would be and that thing kept sliding off. I guess I'll be side saddling it like everyone else.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/D324AB01-6ECA-4FD0-812E-03A3951535D0_zpsibwk9fj0.jpg~original

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/450170B7-5DBE-4A9D-98B1-EC840C1C2DA6_zpsqccehpek.jpg~original

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/2A30EF58-04F1-42C2-8095-9D22DAC4059C_zpstkqqiair.jpg~original

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/1671B66B-5A29-4902-BDE7-36FF8E4E0F5D_zpsq973p982.jpg~original

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/349EB2FB-D3F0-43AC-A508-ED083852B801_zpssnqd80zp.jpg~original

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/04EB327E-71CE-4FA1-97DE-24ACBBD78600_zpsmewn9who.jpg~original

LOL, Something is better than nothing. At least the range safety video before you take the picture and get the permit. Even the online course like Virginia at a minimum. The VA online test was almost the 10 commandments Remington put in the beginning of the owners manual. Guns are something you don't just give out and be like "Aye, be careful fool" and just let Darwinism happen. I guess the issue being had is if they make the test too hard for people who aren't book smart but totally gun smart?

My internal debate is always that versus the scenario that the testing, licensing fees, and associated costs (i.e. classes, the need to take off work or find childcare or simply find transport to the range) can be very problematic for someone who may need the weapon most.

As a concrete example, I have a bunch of friends and acquaintances who are not at the same socioeconomic tier as I am and/or who are busy trying to improve themselves - some of these are hard-working folks who go to work at 3:30 in the morning, pull overtime into second shift or work multiple jobs, and then go to school in the evenings, all while raising multiple kids in primary school...and there's more than one who relies on public transportation or bike (as in bicycle) to where they need to go.

Ohio's concealed-carry training requirements have recently diminished, but still, to find the time for one of these folks to take the class *_and_* get to the range (some classes take place where they can reach by public transportation, but then the range is an hour or more out)...that's a real-world limitation that I find really hard to stomach.

I'm the first to encourage folks to get training and also one who really believes that training truly makes us better - that it exposes our weaknesses and gives us guidance for what to practice on our own time and shows us where we need to take our next steps. For example, the following is me, this past spring, my virgin outing in a shoot-house setting, after being coaxed and cajoled into it by a friend whom I'd consider to also be my mentor ----->

18952681_1417059418340890_8224071556244534820_n.jpg?oh=6eba7f5b5c5a7a5d6b837dba0ffa68bf&oe=59DC41BC

^ Case-in-point: I'd be lost without some really good teachers...... :redface::) And without having been in the shoot-house, I never would have realized the very important subset of skills that I lacked, to be able to employ my weapons in a setting that is considerably more realistic than the flat-range.

[taken from - https://www.facebook.com/practicallytactical/posts/1417059418340890:0 ]

But that said, my core belief is that self defense is the right of every living being, and that there is no difference in how this is achieved, be it with tooth and claw or gunpowder and lead. And it's really because of this, that, despite knowing that training helps, that I cannot, in good conscience, insist that any kind of government-mandated "training" or "licensing" should be necessary for one to exercise armed self-defense.

I keep thinking that maybe some kind of rudimentary safety training given in our schools would be a good idea, but then I'm reminded of just what a spectacular job "Sex Ed" has done for our schoolchildren (this, bearing in mind that my wife is a pediatrician who specializes in adolescent medicine). :lol:

It's shit like this that keeps me awake at night, engaged in a full-on self-debate. :lol:

I gotta say the Magpul stock helped out a bunch compared to the other shot guns I fired last month.

I really like the push-pull technique with the shotgun. I went from being leery of the 12-gauge to being completely in-love with my boom-stick. I mean, I even have a T-shirt and a patch that proclaims my love:

61MRrIzcZBL.jpg

Of-course, this then confused the hell out of me in terms of recoil-control with the carbine, when I finally started-in on the AR. :lol:

I got the stock sleeve to see how it would be and that thing kept sliding off. I guess I'll be side saddling it like everyone else.
I'd really like to try out the Aridus Q-DC. The Mesa keeps losing my brass-downs. :p Maybe I should just go with elastic cards, given that I don't really use my boom-stick, like, at all. Even if I just changed the cards once a year, I'd still come out ahead..... Edited by TSi+WRX

My internal debate is always that versus the scenario that the testing, licensing fees, and associated costs (i.e. classes, the need to take off work or find childcare or simply find transport to the range) can be very problematic for someone who may need the weapon most.

As a concrete example, I have a bunch of friends and acquaintances who are not at the same socioeconomic tier as I am and/or who are busy trying to improve themselves - some of these are hard-working folks who go to work at 3:30 in the morning, pull overtime into second shift or work multiple jobs, and then go to school in the evenings, all while raising multiple kids in primary school...and there's more than one who relies on public transportation or bike (as in bicycle) to where they need to go.

Ohio's concealed-carry training requirements have recently diminished, but still, to find the time for one of these folks to take the class *_and_* get to the range (some classes take place where they can reach by public transportation, but then the range is an hour or more out)...that's a real-world limitation that I find really hard to stomach.

I'm the first to encourage folks to get training and also one who really believes that training truly makes us better - that it exposes our weaknesses and gives us guidance for what to practice on our own time and shows us where we need to take our next steps. For example, the following is me, this past spring, my virgin outing in a shoot-house setting, after being coaxed and cajoled into it by a friend whom I'd consider to also be my mentor ----->

18952681_1417059418340890_8224071556244534820_n.jpg?oh=6eba7f5b5c5a7a5d6b837dba0ffa68bf&oe=59DC41BC

^ Case-in-point: I'd be lost without some really good teachers...... :redface::) And without having been in the shoot-house, I never would have realized the very important subset of skills that I lacked, to be able to employ my weapons in a setting that is considerably more realistic than the flat-range.

[taken from - https://www.facebook.com/practicallytactical/posts/1417059418340890:0 ]

But that said, my core belief is that self defense is the right of every living being, and that there is no difference in how this is achieved, be it with tooth and claw or gunpowder and lead. And it's really because of this, that, despite knowing that training helps, that I cannot, in good conscience, insist that any kind of government-mandated "training" or "licensing" should be necessary for one to exercise armed self-defense.

Totally understand that part, reason I was saying the online part. When I got out the military the 1st time my finances were jacked. Luckily the 3rd job actually got me DCJS gun course granted I literally just finished the VA online course which was like $20 or so then. After that I had to go down to the county building and apply for it with a few other items I can't remember.

I'm not an expert either and could totally use some good info and classes by the right folks, I'll touch on that next paragraph. Here Military was the training for CCW(granted DCJS taught me some things military didn't and I picked up some stuff when I was able to semi train on a CPD range out by the freeway) but I still had to drive clear out to Lake to apply for it. I don't think I know anyone who has a Cuyahouga one, that website is still up and running for info purposes and was more info than Lake had. Same time my nephew who worked 3 jobs managed to get his CCW because he literally delivered Pizzas in East Cleveland where he was shot and killed last fathers day leaving the Cavs watch party.

The range I go normally (Point Blank) has like a 3, 2, and 1 day and ladies only course but it's literally nowhere near me. One of the guys I shoot with teaches classes but they are on days I work and he is not near me. The range we shoot (Parma Armory) is not even the range he teaches at. Where I work in Geauga there is no bus and people do not deliver pizza to us in fear of being robbed. I found out no bus even goes that way when my Subaru kept breaking down.

I guess recap is online course so you can do it anywhere anytime, let it be done in city hall of that city, and then have the licensing not be almost $80 for such a short amount of time.

As for training in person, I recently almost joined a gun club and totally not gonna do it after they praised a guy that is also in there. The guy I speak of has many videos online of him knifing a target in the stall, shooting the ceiling of the range and pointing real guns at his students. I don't need to post any links to help google search hits, the videos are out there and have been for 2 weeks or more before the ceiling incident. The guy I shoot with posts on there and also thinks the guy is an idiot and glad he lost his certs.

I keep thinking that maybe some kind of rudimentary safety training given in our schools would be a good idea, but then I'm reminded of just what a spectacular job "Sex Ed" has done for our schoolchildren (this, bearing in mind that my wife is a pediatrician who specializes in adolescent medicine). :lol:

It's shit like this that keeps me awake at night, engaged in a full-on self-debate. :lol:

If your schooling was like ours yeah it was scary. 4th grade was pretty much soft core /H/ videos on how babies are made and milky breast. Middle school I think 7th grade safe sex was "Find a quiet place and masturbate" like dude I'm sure everyone is tired of that and pretty much want more. That's almost as bad as when folks go to church folks for how they can lessen the urges and they tell them cold showers and pray on it.

I really like the push-pull technique with the shotgun. I went from being leery of the 12-gauge to being completely in-love with my boom-stick. I mean, I even have a T-shirt and a patch that proclaims my love:

61MRrIzcZBL.jpg

Of-course, this then confused the hell out of me in terms of recoil-control with the carbine, when I finally started-in on the AR. :lol:

I'd really like to try out the Aridus Q-DC. The Mesa keeps losing my brass-downs. :p Maybe I should just go with elastic cards, given that I don't really use my boom-stick, like, at all. Even if I just changed the cards once a year, I'd still come out ahead.....

Rifle I never really had an issue recoil wise. The guns I fired last month @ A&A were side by side and mostly target loads at clay. I didn't fire many slugs as the 1st 2 were enough to bear. Push pull worked for me on this gun but I think my face was dragging that sleeve forward when the gun kicked back. I also think elastic is the way so I can just Velcro it on the side. I also gotta figure out my way to reload on brass up vs brass down, I trained with a heat shield last time and nearly melt my pants yesterday w/o it on this gun. Been online watching videos how to have magpul and shield same time as the tolerances are tight to aide in shielding your hand from the barrel down below. My shorter barrel should be here Monday or Tuesday so I wonder how much a difference that will make in recoil. I plan on at least firing it 1 time a month but want to find and outdoor range close enough to use birdshot. Indoor only allows slugs granted I don't see myself shooting 200 of those $4.99 for 5 like I do .45 or 9mm in one session.

Edited by Merc6

Totally understand that part, reason I was saying the online part. When I got out the military the 1st time my finances were jacked. Luckily the 3rd job actually got me DCJS gun course granted I literally just finished the VA online course which was like $20 or so then. After that I had to go down to the county building and apply for it with a few other items I can't remember.

I'm not an expert either and could totally use some good info and classes by the right folks, I'll touch on that next paragraph. Here Military was the training for CCW(granted DCJS taught me some things military didn't and I picked up some stuff when I was able to semi train on a CPD range out by the freeway) but I still had to drive clear out to Lake to apply for it. I don't think I know anyone who has a Cuyahouga one, that website is still up and running for info purposes and was more info than Lake had. Same time my nephew who worked 3 jobs managed to get his CCW because he literally delivered Pizzas in East Cleveland where he was shot and killed last fathers day leaving the Cavs watch party.

The range I go normally (Point Blank) has like a 3, 2, and 1 day and ladies only course but it's literally nowhere near me. One of the guys I shoot with teaches classes but they are on days I work and he is not near me. The range we shoot (Parma Armory) is not even the range he teaches at. Where I work in Geauga there is no bus and people do not deliver pizza to us in fear of being robbed. I found out no bus even goes that way when my Subaru kept breaking down.

I guess recap is online course so you can do it anywhere anytime, let it be done in city hall of that city, and then have the licensing not be almost $80 for such a short amount of time.

As for training in person, I recently almost joined a gun club and totally not gonna do it after they praised a guy that is also in there. The guy I speak of has many videos online of him knifing a target in the stall, shooting the ceiling of the range and pointing real guns at his students. I don't need to post any links to help google search hits, the videos are out there and have been for 2 weeks or more before the ceiling incident. The guy I shoot with posts on there and also thinks the guy is an idiot and glad he lost his certs.

If your schooling was like ours yeah it was scary. 4th grade was pretty much soft core /H/ videos on how babies are made and milky breast. Middle school I think 7th grade safe sex was "Find a quiet place and masturbate" like dude I'm sure everyone is tired of that and pretty much want more. That's almost as bad as when folks go to church folks for how they can lessen the urges and they tell them cold showers and pray on it.

I'm totally tracking.

That's the thing, right? There's pros and cons - and it's why I lose sleep debating myself about things like this, at night. :lol:

And that's even before I start-in on the problematic trainers and information that's out there...or even the fact that some really good instructors unfortunately still function from previous-generation thinking/doctrine.

I never knew the late Pat Rogers, but one of the things that he was fond f saying really resonates with me: that we as shooters need to build and contribute to our community of shooters, not only so that we can support each other and make each other better, but also to insure that newcomers to our community are served in a manner which welcomes them, makes sure that they are safe, and guides them onto this path.

Training, no training, bad training....there's many pitfalls along the way.

And with your late nephew, you - as well as myself (a big part of why I came to armed self-defense is because I was then a new father, and as-such, took some time to reflect on the realities of criminal violence and our perception of safety in the world in which we live) - finding the time and taking the effort to get in the training we needed in order to obtain our Ohio-CHL, again, I totally understand...and a part of me really does believe that it's true that we "make the time we need to get done what we must get done." Each of us led busy lives, for different reasons, and I don't think it is easier for any of us to have found that time in our schedules (for me, I had to arrange child-care for my daughter for three weeknights, and then to compress both weekend-days of chores into one, for a range-day where I literally spent just 10 minutes shooting, but an entire day waiting to do so). But at the same time, I also feel that to suggest that any other person really can make that time is to put my - our - standards upon another person: and as I accrue years, myself, I'm beginning to see the wisdom in my father's often recited Chinese proverb, that every house has its bitterness.

Yeah, I know, I'm a conflicted mess. :)

Rifle I never really had an issue recoil wise. The guns I fired last month @ A&A were side by side and mostly target loads at clay. I didn't fire many slugs as the 1st 2 were enough to bear. Push pull worked for me on this gun but I think my face was dragging that sleeve forward when the gun kicked back. I also think elastic is the way so I can just Velcro it on the side.

:lol: All I imagine when you mentioned that the elastic was dragging and your face is some kind of comical face-slingshot. :lol:

I also gotta figure out my way to reload on brass up vs brass down, I trained with a heat shield last time and nearly melt my pants yesterday w/o it on this gun. Been online watching videos how to have magpul and shield same time as the tolerances are tight to aide in shielding your hand from the barrel down below. My shorter barrel should be here Monday or Tuesday so I wonder how much a difference that will make in recoil. I plan on at least firing it 1 time a month but want to find and outdoor range close enough to use birdshot. Indoor only allows slugs granted I don't see myself shooting 200 of those $4.99 for 5 like I do .45 or 9mm in one session.

I really want to take Steve Fisher's shotgun class here at Alliance. I think a few day's pressure-cooking will help me cement (or ditch) the techniques that I *think* I like, gleaned from and practiced as a result of the few more basic classes I've had with the gauge, over the last few years (I quickly realized that while I love the boom-stick and can run it reasonably well, that the AR was going to be much more beneficial, overall). Edited by TSi+WRX

The 18" came in today instead of Tuesday. OMG, that 26" barrel was super long!

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/B98050C9-3DF5-4C28-AD55-CF970C928AF2_zpsudh9hddj.jpg~original

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/0F3E1CF3-29F7-441B-81A1-A1922A41BBD0_zpseqm5dku1.jpg~original

No slingshot, more of face against a well toned leg with thick pantyhose sliding down. I was gonna try and multi quote again but I failed and had maybe 7 edits to last post. Already back 10 11 more edits so far.

I'd be interested in a shotgun class eventually, would have to find time after 3rd shift and 2 kids. It's possible but takes some planning to do it. I drug my feet on the CHL and all I had to do was show up with DD214 and gun quals to get it.

Edited by Merc6

OMG, that 26" barrel was super long![/qutoe]

That's what she said! :lol:

No slingshot, more of face against a well toned leg with thick pantyhose sliding down.

Hey, what you do on your own time....... :lol:

I'd be interested in a shotgun class eventually, would have to find time after 3rd shift and 2 kids. It's possible but takes some planning to do it. I drug my feet on the CHL and all I had to do was show up with DD214 and gun quals to get it.

Yeah, I hear ya - my pet-peeve is class cancellations since I need to align my schedule months in advance. :p

RUGER MARK IV™ PRODUCT SAFETY WARNING AND RECALL NOTICE

Ruger recently discovered that all Mark IV™ pistols (including 22/45™ models) manufactured prior to June 1, 2017 have the potential to discharge unintentionally if the safety is not utilized correctly. In particular, if the trigger is pulled while the safety lever is midway between the "safe" and "fire" positions (that is, the safety is not fully engaged or fully disengaged), then the pistol may not fire when the trigger is pulled. However, if the trigger is released and the safety lever is then moved from the mid position to the "fire" position, the pistol may fire at that time.

https://ruger.com/dataProcess/markIVRecall/

Side work today. I got to work on something other than cars. LOL.

Pats list:

Aero Precision M5 (308) lower

Aero Precision M5E1 (Enhanced) upper

Aero Precision 15" M-Lok hand guard

CBI 18" 1-8 S/S 6.5 Creedmoor barrel

CMMG gunbuilders lower parts kit

Brownells rifle length gas tube (black nitride)

Geissele Super Charging handle

Geissele SD-E trigger

PWS precision rifle compensator

MagPul Gen3 PRS (Precision Rifle Stock)

MagPul Gen3 MIAD grip

Odin Works low profile adjustable gas block

Sprinco USA (Tactical Springs) Green buffer spring

Heavybuffers.com AR10R-XH buffer

Fail Zero EXO coated bolt carrier group

KNS hammer and trigger pins

Odin Works M-Lok low profile bi-pod mount

Harris Bi-pod

LaRue LT112 PSR scope mount

Nikon M-308 scope

Not a cheap rifle, but should be well worth the expense for this fine tool.

20170619_191511.thumb.jpg.a51dabcd3b362cd543d39a56c7d4dc54.jpg

20170619_191551.thumb.jpg.1edf2e6a56ef2c7d16d9b27005793258.jpg

Side work today. I got to work on something other than cars. LOL.

Pats list:

Aero Precision M5 (308) lower

Aero Precision M5E1 (Enhanced) upper

Aero Precision 15" M-Lok hand guard

CBI 18" 1-8 S/S 6.5 Creedmoor barrel

CMMG gunbuilders lower parts kit

Brownells rifle length gas tube (black nitride)

Geissele Super Charging handle

Geissele SD-E trigger

PWS precision rifle compensator

MagPul Gen3 PRS (Precision Rifle Stock)

MagPul Gen3 MIAD grip

Odin Works low profile adjustable gas block

Sprinco USA (Tactical Springs) Green buffer spring

Heavybuffers.com AR10R-XH buffer

Fail Zero EXO coated bolt carrier group

KNS hammer and trigger pins

Odin Works M-Lok low profile bi-pod mount

Harris Bi-pod

LaRue LT112 PSR scope mount

Nikon M-308 scope

Not a cheap rifle, but should be well worth the expense for this fine tool.

Bitchin' build mike!

"Build" Thread <--Link

(OLD) '05 EJ255 now a '13 EJ257 Bottom End w/D25 heads (NEW)

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My dad is getting back into shooting, hates auto pistols but wants to shoot 9mm.

So he is finally leaving listening to reason and is going to buy quality equipment at my urging. S&W 929 Performance Center should be on order soon. N frame, PC tuned action (not bad), 8 shot titanium cylinder in 9mm, 6.5" barrel, and a compensator. Should be hilarious.

Well either through an error with his dealer or his own error in communication with his dealer my dad managed to get a 986 Pro Series instead of the 929. Claims he likes it better because he didn't want the compensator anyway. The L frame is only a 7 shot, but he's not shooting competition so no big deal. I think the hard chromed trigger and hammer on the full PC gun are better as is the over travel stop, but to each his own. He said he really likes it, so good on him.

Ended up adding this to the fore, helps out a bit since I been shooting only slugs (70 in total) this whole time.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/37D9D9B8-007B-42B1-91D0-82788936E573_zpso369x6hv.jpg~original

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/C62AEB94-F6DE-4736-8E53-2A8121E3466C_zpsgwa9auyg.jpg~original

^ I shoot the gauge push-pull, so I like a more forward brace (like a handstop ledge or even the Surefire handguard's "swell" that's necessary for the batteries/light), but then again, not everyone shoots the push-pull. :)

-----

Nothing wrong with a revolver in the right hands...

Miculek ain't human.

meninblack_screenshot.jpg

Edited by TSi+WRX

Finally took out my 308.

Pretty sure it's undergassed...

Need to look into it more.

This comp works amazing!

...but sucks for "neighbor's" at the range.1cbc87fab21ebec85ca8f3b4870490c8.jpg

"Build" Thread <--Link

(OLD) '05 EJ255 now a '13 EJ257 Bottom End w/D25 heads (NEW)

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have one of those M4-72 brakes. Hate it. Too much back blast and side blast. I can feel the shit on my face when shooting. Took it off. Need to send it back to Brownells for a refund.