LegacyGT.com

Make radio louder? 05 LGT Limited

BoxerLove

Either im deaf, or this radio just really doesn't get very loud. Anything after 30 there is almost no change in volume at all. This is my first 4th gen, and overall i think the sound quality is actually pretty decant. Adding my subwoofer setup from my 2nd gen that is currently down and getting swapped made a big difference. I just wish the actual mids and highs could be louder. I like to drive with my window down or cracked 95% of the time which pretty much means i cant hear the music. Am i stuck with going to an aftermarket head unit/JDM Double Din swap? Am i missing some secret radio settings other than Bass,Mid,High changes? Thanks a bunch! :spin:

Nahh, i think you might actually have a problem. My stock radio is blasting at 16 when im doing 80 with the windows all the way down.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

If that is the case, ill end up putting a nice double DIN in. I havent looked into the issue much. It still works obviously, but i cant go down the highway and hear my music with the windows down, with it even at 35. CD's are louder than the Jazzy Aux in mod. Quite a bit louder actually. Really P's me off sometimes when i want to use my phone.

Just do the JDM double din swap. then you'll have more equalizer control with a new stereo.

Im thinking that is the plan. Maybe in spring time. I can probably live with it till snow flys. I have a lifted 97 LGT i drive and have a blast with during the snowy winter and also have my 98 LGT Swap going on right now so im trying to keep my wallet focused on that. 3 subarus keeps me busy! :D

I mean, the stock head unit is only like 100 watts. The P201 is a pretty late-90's grade stereo, considering how much these cars cost new. It isn't loud, gets distortion very early, and generally is pretty unimpressive.

The P204 is a huge improvement over the P201. Not much more powerful, but the signal processor is WAY better, and the SRS Wow feature does make a nice difference in sound staging. I'll likely end up just upgrading the speakers/amps.

Either of them suck compared to even a $150 Pioneer single DIN.

The stock head unit puts out I'm guessing around 8W RMS per speaker. The stock speakers even say 8W RMS max on the back of the magnet. If you want louder, you don't need to change the head unit, you won't even get that much louder with stock speakers, trust me. Went from the stock head unit to 24w RMS x 4 Kenwood double din and it didn't change much because the stock speakers can't handle much more.

You need to upgrade the speakers first, then amplify them. You don't need a new head unit to do so. If you want to get loud on a budget with mids and highs, get these speakers for $100: http://www.soundqubed.com/QC-HF65_p_144.html

and this amplifier to power them: https://www.amazon.com/hifonics-BRX316-4-Brutus-2X160W-4X80W/dp/B00T3VMV7M/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1474637539&sr=8-6&keywords=Hifonics+2+channel

I highly suggest not using a standard crappy Line-Out Converter, but getting something like this: https://www.amazon.com/AudioControl-6-Channel-Output-Converter-Restoration/dp/B00ATHBO86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474637584&sr=8-1&keywords=audio+control+lc7i to hook up the amplifiers. It'll make your substage louder and simplify the install.

P.S. You'll be running 50W or so to the component set, and trust me it should fulfill your loudness needs. The amplifier alone will make it so having your windows down going 70mph on the highway won't effect much.

Archived