LegacyGT.com

Backup camera for 07 Spec B, connect to GPS screen?

Hey all,

I'd like to get a backup camera hooked up on my 07 Spec B. I know the GPS is a Kenwood model, is it possible to simply plug in one of their backup cameras? I'm sure it's not that easy but wanted to ask.

I saw this mentioned in an older thread, and contacted a company but the cheapest option was more than $300 USD.

Thanks

You could also get a homelink mirror with a screen in it and hook it up to that for a stealthy install. May be a bit easier since they already have the yellow video plug (if you have the proper harness).

-Brian

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You could also get a homelink mirror with a screen in it and hook it up to that for a stealthy install. May be a bit easier since they already have the yellow video plug (if you have the proper harness).

-Brian

This is my plan. My roommate's outback had the screen in the mirror, and it was perfect. I personally hate screens in cars, and generally dislike rear view cameras, but I can't see past the wing very well on my LGT.

-Brian

Like this:http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160912/98d35479ed53bf09dd98d0cca1384dc2.jpg

If anyone wants details, I can dig up the harness and mirror part numbers. It's a 10-12 Subaru Gentex mirror made for displaying a backup camera.

It's hard to find the actual Subaru harness for these, but a guy named Bob Prim sells them. He has a website.

Do you have a rough estimate on what one of those mirror setups would cost? Looks pricey, but cool.

You have a couple options for mirrors. You can start with a brand new Gentex mirror, like the GENK332 (this one on Amazon) for $326. I don't recall if this came with a harness to splice into your vehicle harness. It was too expensive and didn't include Homelink and the digital compass, so I didn't go that route. Homelink is the garage door buttons that you can program right into the mirror. It's an awesome feature. And I love having a digital compass, too.

Instead of buying the popular GENK332 display, I went on Ebay and bought the Gentex GSHSL4 mirror from an auto salvage store for $122 shipped. I also needed a harness to connect the mirror with the cars auto-dim mirror harness (near the sunroof) and the backup camera itself. Bob Prim (http://www.bobsmirrors.com, Ebay user: copper_z71) makes custom harnesses for Subarus. I bought the harness from him for $50. The harness for $50 is not a bad deal considering it was put together well, and it already had all the right connectors for plug-n-play. I didn't need to waste time figuring out the pinouts and connector part numbers.

I just did a search on Ebay for "subaru backup mirror", and found that Bob Prim ("copper_z71") currently has a mirror (part# GSHSL4) and harness for sale for $289 plus shipping. Link here. This is the OE setup from the 2010-2012 Subaru Legacy/Outback that didn't have Nav installed but had the backup camera option. $289 may seem pricey, but it includes the newest Gentex 3.3" LCD display, Homelink, and the compass. It doesn't include the actual backup camera itself. Luckily, backup cameras only costs $35. That same seller also had another style backup camera and Subaru harness for $209. It's the older 3.5" LCD display without Homelink and the compass so I'm not a big fan.

In summary, you can expect to pay $300-350$ for all the components for a rear view display. You may be able to get it cheaper if you luck out and find a salvage yard selling the relatively rare backup mirror. The install will take a few hours. I think it's well worth the price.

If you own a Legacy with Nav installed, then you can can get a backup display for a lot cheaper. Basically, that will only cost $50 for the backup camera, some wiring, and a couple connectors.

Thanks so much for the reply Dispatch, this is awesome. The mirror is pretty cool, but a bit rich for me I think.

The $50 option where I use my nav screen is the DIY you posted in your thread, correct? If so, for $50, I think I'll go this route so I can have a use for my nav screen lol.

Thanks so much for the reply Dispatch, this is awesome. The mirror is pretty cool, but a bit rich for me I think.

The $50 option where I use my nav screen is the DIY you posted in your thread, correct? If so, for $50, I think I'll go this route so I can have a use for my nav screen lol.

In your shoes, I'd definitely just use the Nav screen. That's exactly what I did in my 3.0R Limited with Nav. On my Outback, I didn't have Nav, so I had to get more creative with the backup mirror with LCD.

I'd say $50 is a safe bet for all the stuff needed for the install. The camera is less than $30 and it includes most of the wiring you need, some silicon sealant is <$5, molex plastic connector <$5.

The backup feature on the Nav unit is pretty good. The Nav unit display will stay off (assuming you keep it off by default) until you go into reverse. Then the LCD turns on, and then it will turn back off once you leave reverse.

Thank you kind sir, guess I better order some parts. The custom harness would be on top of the $50 than, which still isn't too expensive.

$50 includes everything. You sort of make your own harness by using the RCA and power cable from the backup camera, and attaching a plastic molex connector for the Nav unit, and connectors for the reverse lights.

In your shoes, I'd definitely just use the Nav screen. That's exactly what I did in my 3.0R Limited with Nav. On my Outback, I didn't have Nav, so I had to get more creative with the backup mirror with LCD.

I'd say $50 is a safe bet for all the stuff needed for the install. The camera is less than $30 and it includes most of the wiring you need, some silicon sealant is <$5, molex plastic connector <$5.

The backup feature on the Nav unit is pretty good. The Nav unit display will stay off (assuming you keep it off by default) until you go into reverse. Then the LCD turns on, and then it will turn back off once you leave reverse.

If your Nav is on, does it just switch the backup cam automatically when in reverse, and then revert back? Or does the Nav screen have to be off for the backup camera to show up?

If your Nav is on, does it just switch the backup cam automatically when in reverse, and then revert back? Or does the Nav screen have to be off for the backup camera to show up?

Going in reverse overrides everything. Whether the Nav screen is off or on, it will switch to backup video when you go into reverse.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
You have a couple options for mirrors. You can start with a brand new Gentex mirror, like the GENK332 (this one on Amazon) for $326. I don't recall if this came with a harness to splice into your vehicle harness. It was too expensive and didn't include Homelink and the digital compass, so I didn't go that route. Homelink is the garage door buttons that you can program right into the mirror. It's an awesome feature. And I love having a digital compass, too.

Instead of buying the popular GENK332 display, I went on Ebay and bought the Gentex GSHSL4 mirror from an auto salvage store for $122 shipped. I also needed a harness to connect the mirror with the cars auto-dim mirror harness (near the sunroof) and the backup camera itself. Bob Prim (http://www.bobsmirrors.com, Ebay user: copper_z71) makes custom harnesses for Subarus. I bought the harness from him for $50. The harness for $50 is not a bad deal considering it was put together well, and it already had all the right connectors for plug-n-play. I didn't need to waste time figuring out the pinouts and connector part numbers.

I just did a search on Ebay for "subaru backup mirror", and found that Bob Prim ("copper_z71") currently has a mirror (part# GSHSL4) and harness for sale for $289 plus shipping. Link here. This is the OE setup from the 2010-2012 Subaru Legacy/Outback that didn't have Nav installed but had the backup camera option. $289 may seem pricey, but it includes the newest Gentex 3.3" LCD display, Homelink, and the compass. It doesn't include the actual backup camera itself. Luckily, backup cameras only costs $35. That same seller also had another style backup camera and Subaru harness for $209. It's the older 3.5" LCD display without Homelink and the compass so I'm not a big fan.

In summary, you can expect to pay $300-350$ for all the components for a rear view display. You may be able to get it cheaper if you luck out and find a salvage yard selling the relatively rare backup mirror. The install will take a few hours. I think it's well worth the price.

If you own a Legacy with Nav installed, then you can can get a backup display for a lot cheaper. Basically, that will only cost $50 for the backup camera, some wiring, and a couple connectors.

Bump for a great info. What about reverse signal? Is it available near the mirror in 05-09? Not seeing it in wiring diagrams.

EDIT: I found it. Yeah, apparently the 3-pin connector has reverse signal even on 05. How neat!

Bump for a great info. What about reverse signal? Is it available near the mirror in 05-09? Not seeing it in wiring diagrams.

EDIT: I found it. Yeah, apparently the 3-pin connector has reverse signal even on 05. How neat!

You installing a rearview mirror with the built-in display? If you don't have one yet, I could sell you one. I picked one up one EBay a while back for $80 or so. Would be happy to ship it to you at cost as a "thanks" for all the Bilstein info you posted years back.

You installing a rearview mirror with the built-in display? If you don't have one yet, I could sell you one. I picked one up one EBay a while back for $80 or so. Would be happy to ship it to you at cost as a "thanks" for all the Bilstein info you posted years back.

Pming.

Archived