LegacyGT.com

Clicking/Knocking engine

Ok, so I may not know a whole lot about this whole issue, but... I took my car in to the dealership yesterday for the 3k oil change. I was told by the service department that they put Mobil 1 Synthetic in the tubo Subies, so I was like cool. Well, I have a Quaker State oil sticker in the window (could be thats the only stickers they have, not sure... :S) But, thats not the problem...

I wake up this morning, driving with the windows down and sitting at a stoplight and I hear this REALLY loud clicking/knocking from the car, and its not going away... I thought I was just imagining things, so I had a few friends listen to it. They agree it doesnt sound quite right. Now, I could be way off, but when I got the car, it sounded a little different than regular engines I have listened to, but thats probably because its a boxer engine I am assuming. Nothing out of the ordinary, just different sounding. But what I heard this morning is NOTHING like what I have ever heard from it before.

Anyone have any idea's, thoughts, comments... I mean, it could just be my imagination, but it didnt have it yesterday when it left the dealership, and I didnt leave the windows down, or pay attention to it for the entire day yesterday... But this morning it just didnt sound quite right. (3500 miles on it right now)

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

next to check is the hoses for the turbo and along those lines.. it's possible that you might have a split boost line somewhere and causing the car to run lean (if the case is that you have 93 octane and the fuel you are getting is good).. did you get a bad batch of gas?
Keefe

I dont think that I got a bad batch of gas, I am using 93 octane (Texas)... But then again, its always possible, it was a gas station that I havent been at before (trip to Dallas :S).

Would a bad batch of gas make it knock that bad :S Not sure about that since I have never had that problem before. Also, not sure if this matters or not, but I normally get about 25.2 or so MPG on the highway, I checked the MPG and it was up at 27.2 this time and I wasnt driving any differently. Not sure if thats a factor at all.

I am going to be taking it to a local place to see if they will just take a quick look at it, and if they say something is messed up then I will have the dealership in Dallas come pick it up or something. Hopefully nothings messed up :S That wouldnt be cool if the boost line is split or anything along those lines. I havent noticed any performance decrease or increase, still drives like normal, just knocks/ticks/clicks like crazy.

They put Quaker state 5w30 in it. Once it warms up it kinda quiets down, but I still hear it it I listen for it. I think that I am just gonna run it and hope it doesnt jack up... if it does, well... I will probably be getting a new subie... LOL.

I got an extra oil filter, so next time I change the oil I think I am going to go with Amsoil full synthetic. Im just hoping that I am imagining things, that it really sounds like that all the time and that I am just smoking something...

I will post if anything goes completely wrong.

Archived