LegacyGT.com

Considering Trading for my first Subie

The car I am interested in is a 2000 Subaru Legacy (Sedan). I'm not a big fan of the wagons but the sedans, ooh boy.

But anyway I have never owned one and am curious on some owners thoughts.

It has an EJ251 motor (Apparently prone to head gasket leaks), the owner states that he has Put in better Head Gaskets, Valve Cover Gaskets, and Exhaust and Intake Gaskets.

Also states other things as well. I can list them if someone is curious.

but the car has 288,000 Miles on it. Seems very well cared for.

Right now I drive a 2000 Acura Integra, nothing wrong with the Integra, I just feel burned out on the Honda's. Want something different and to expand my horizons and i hear good things about Subies.

What are your guys' thoughts and experiences?

-Andrew

pics:

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u389/Andrew_R_Reed/00w0w_dguKQYmU801_1200x900_zps8ob1nyeq.jpg

Check things you would check on any older high mileage car. All the rubber/bushings. Rust. does it burn oil? Do all the tires match? How much tread left? Was the differential fluid ever changed? Does all the interior thing work? Are the wheel bearing making noise? Are the rack boots cracked?

^+1000

Keep looking.....too many miles, unless it's <$1500 and you have a repair budget.

CV axles, HG are likely due AGAIN...every 125-150K miles, as are the timing belt, WP, etc. - every 105K miles.

Receipts for all work done/parts replaced? If not, it didn't happen.

Where do you live? This will affect the value of the car even with that many miles.. Here up north I see 300k rusted cars going for upwards of 2gs if it's not mid summer.

I like the subaru, the awd is great. Went down roads that jeeps turned back on.. Road was closed with mega drifts, plows had bailed out, and deep snow.. Second gear is like a tank. This thing is a beast in the snow.. I'd say better than a jeep, only thing better with a jeep is ground clearance, but they get stuck easier than the Subaru.

From what I can see in the pic, it looks very well cared for. It is worth 1200 all day long.. Possibly 1500 if it's as clean as it looks in the pic. Per kbb and experience.

When I comes to rubber bushings and rusting out, age is a bigger factor than mileage imo. I have a 2000 that I would guess has more rust than that car.

Imagine all the things that have been fixed on that car. If everything is in good running order, and the price is at kbb fair condition or less it's not a bad deal at all. Or buy one with 130 for a lot more money that needs everything that's already been done to get you to 288... That car probably has newer struts, ect. High dollar items that you'll rarely find changed on a car with 120k. I bet you spend just as much or more on maintenance: on a car with less miles.

They go 320 easily.. If motor sounds good drive it a few years try out the Subaru, and then it won't owe you anything. Listen for timing belt noises. Need to be done every 100-120k.

Oil leaks are pretty common on these.. A little oil leak doesn't stop the car, they can go quite a while with small head gasket leaks.. If it doesn't have a leaking head gasket your good for quite a while, 20k at least, the new gaskets last much longer than the original.

Archived