LegacyGT.com

Pulled Over because of . . .

PhiTauFord

I am thinking about tinting my car and I want to see who has noticed that they have gotten pulled over more because of tinted windows? Perhaps I am just being paranoid.

Please feel free to include anything else you may have been pulled over for as far as appearance goes.

Getting pulled over isn't my biggest concern. Most cops could care less about the window tinting. It is your state inpsection that looks for the tinting when you get your car registered. If you don't have a state inspection to re-register then you are probably more likely to get away with it. It's something around $10,000 to pass a car that shouldn't pass. It doesn't matter if it is emissions or window tinting... a fail is a fail. Unless your state has a 'no tint on your front side windows' law then most cops aren't going to give you grief unless you give them some other reason to pull you over.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Why wouldn't you tint the front? You can have them tinted 70% I think. Granted, that isn't very dark, but any UV protection helps. And it does look a little odd to have the back windows tinted and not the front, but in some states you don't have a choice. My rear and front windows are tinted differently because the law doesn't let me go very dark on the front. It is fairly obvious the tint is different, but it is close enough that it doesn't look terrible. Going 20% in the rear and leaving the front clear would stand out quite a bit.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I've seen plenty of cars with only the 3 rear windows tinted. Doesn't look that bad to me. Heck I might do that myself.

Wouldn't tinting the front windshield obscure night-time driving?

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

I think everybody knows you can't tint the windshield. He probably just meant the front side windows.

In PA the tint law says (and you will probably hear this from the shop you get your windows tinted from) that you can only tint the rear windows 70% (not very dark) and nothing on the front side windows. If you have any tint on the front side windows then it will fail inspection if you state has it. If your rear windows are darker than 70% then that would make it fail too.

Make sure you get a high quality tint. Tint tends to get darker the older it gets. If you get it 70% now then it might be 65% in a couple years. Get a good tint that won't do that. Your tint shop will know what kind to use.

OCDETAILS BLOG

You are confusing PA law w/ NJ.

NJ : No tint on front side windows. But all others can be as dark as you want.

PA : Tint allowed on all windows - must allow more then 70% of light in. No metallic or mirrored.

You can always get a doctor's note saying the tint is medically needed for sensitivity / etc.

i see. Thanks for the info. Now i'm struggling with my inspection stickers. If I get the front tinted, aren't they going to mess up the tint when I get my car inspected and they swap the stickers?

Can anyone comment on this?

Maybe I am just ignorant, but what stickers do you have on either the rear windshield or the side windows?

Maybe I am just ignorant, but what stickers do you have on either the rear windshield or the side windows?
The stickers are on the front window hence being concerned about the front tint getting messed up.

Sorry if that wasn't clear . . . my bad.

Depends on the cop really. If it's illegal in your area and he hasn't gotten a hummer in 3weeks from his wife/mistress, he may just give ya one. I haven't been stopped for mine yet. :D IL it is illegal to tint the front two windows beyond a factory tint.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/SteveISU/Sideview2Leg.jpg

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

i'm running limo front and back..rear view window is 20%..had over a year and no pull overs for that yet, been pulled over about 3 times in this car..never recieved crap for tint, even with my plates coming up as having a concealed weapons license..if you go dark my suggestion is when you get pulled over..day or night, roll down all windows before they get to you, if night time turn on your interior lights as well, this makes the officers feel safer when approaching and they are less likely to give you any crap about your tint. my .02

I had a car tinted (35%) in MD a few years ago. So even in MD, with the factory tint, it wasn't quite legal. I then moved to VA (same laws as MD, except the fronts had to be 50%) and had the car inspected a couple times and never had an issue with the tint. Personally, the more extreme you go with the tint, the more attention you/tint will get.

-S

thanks for the responses . . . anyone have any input on the inspection sticker question with the front window?

I am concerned that if I tint the front window when the inspections stickers are removed/replaced the tint will get messed up. I assume the inspection station would use a razor blade to remove the old stickers and put the new ones on. Anyone have any experience with this?

thanks for the responses . . . anyone have any input on the inspection sticker question with the front window?

I am concerned that if I tint the front window when the inspections stickers are removed/replaced the tint will get messed up. I assume the inspection station would use a razor blade to remove the old stickers and put the new ones on. Anyone have any experience with this?

Your not supposed to, nor should you tint your front windshield. The "front" that everyone is referring to is the the front driver and passenger windows. I dont think anyone has their windshield tinted. It is illegal and dangerous to tint your windshield.

-Drew

SQC049

Super JDM part out: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65039

PM me an offer!

I live in NY & I've got 20% all around. I used to drive an SUV with 15% all around. A friend of mine has a chevy tahoe with 5% all around. All of my friends have at least 20% or darker tint & none of us have ever had a problem with cops. I would agree (& I do this myself) that rolling the windows down around cops or if you get pulled over will make a difference. Most cops dont notice or dont care about the tints. I will say that an ex g/f of mine got stopped for tints way upstate in NY but she's the only one I've heard of yet. & no, dont tint your windshield. (watch me get stopped now for tinted windows, lol)
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Yet another stupid law. There's no reason whatsoever to disallow tinting the front side windows. Laws like this are leftovers from the early 80s when only "drug dealers" had tinted windows. Just like pagers and cell phones, it's commonplace today and the laws should be ammended to reflect that. Right now it's just another source of revenue.

Your not supposed to, nor should you tint your front windshield. The "front" that everyone is referring to is the the front driver and passenger windows. I dont think anyone has their windshield tinted. It is illegal and dangerous to tint your windshield.

-Drew

SQC049

Ohhhhh . . . well don't I feel stupid :rolleyes:. I'm going with 35% all around. Getting it done on Saturday. :D

Yet another stupid law. There's no reason whatsoever to disallow tinting the front side windows. Laws like this are leftovers from the early 80s when only "drug dealers" had tinted windows. Just like pagers and cell phones, it's commonplace today and the laws should be ammended to reflect that. Right now it's just another source of revenue.

The simple reason is to allow the officer to have better visibility when approaching your car. I think turning on your dome light or rolling windows down at a traffic stop should become a law before a tint law is in place. Most drivers spend 99.9% or more of their time driving and very seldom are pulled over. The tint laws are like walking around all day everyday with an umbrella open for that slight chance you might get rained on.

Blame the guy in NJ that killed a cop because the cop couldn't see the gun the driver had through his front tint.

Thats the single rason NJ does not allow front tint.

i got a big, fat $100 ticket in louisa county VA for tint. the state trooper had a black box that he slipped over my window that gave a digital read out of my tint. 23%. he also measured my bumper height and my light trajectory. you win some, you lose some.
Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

WHAT! I hate troopers in VA. I got a whopping $530 ticket for going (too fast) 105 in a 2000 forester. He (in an unmarked car) just checked the "other" box on the ticket and wrote in $530. I'm never speeding in VA again. That black box thing is ridiculous though .. . Didn't even know such a thing existed. Can't wait to get my tint tomorrow : )

Archived