LegacyGT.com

what is this ?

FYI, Its called a Helmholtz resonator and it does nothing to reduce airflow so it does not affect your engine's power output. It works just like blowing air over the mouth of a bottle. It is an acoustic trap. It just reduces noise so why mess with it?. Unless of course you like a noisy car .

:confused:

why take it off ? well this car is too damn quite :( my ex car had direct air filter k&n , and full BORLA stainless steel exaust . so i'm used to hear a growl when ever i put my foot on the gas. but in this legacy i get nothing :(

FYI, Its called a Helmholtz resonator and it does nothing to reduce airflow so it does not affect your engine's power output. It works just like blowing air over the mouth of a bottle. It is an acoustic trap. It just reduces noise so why mess with it?. Unless of course you like a noisy car .

:confused:

The sound of that boxer breathing properly is not noise my friend, thats music. You make it sound like we're taking the mufflers off.. "Noise"

Noise indeed..lol..

Like I said above, unless you like a noisy car. To each his own. But, this particular type of resonator only works over a very narrow range of frequencies so it does not affect what you call growl, it affects droaning noises which are not pleasant to listen to. We are not talking about the music that 4 Weber 2 barrel downdraft carbs make on a Ferrari 308 at full chat. We are talking about annoying noise that Subaru was left with as a consequence of the lengths of the intake runners that they could not tune out by other means. It would be probably better to change out the airbox with something else (CAI system or short ram) if you desired to enhance the "boxer" sound from the intake tract.

At least it sounds better than a fart can..

I really have to get on the throttle to even make it sound off, otherwise, under normal driving conditions (ie..Wife) You can't even tell anything was changed. Not like it drones at speed on the highway or surface streets.. so I don't really know what this 'drone' is you're talking about.. maybe it's just yours.... :)

"Not like it drones at speed on the highway or surface streets.. so I don't really know what this 'drone' is you're talking about.. maybe it's just yours.... :)"

Drakuun, my car is a GT, so it has a totaly different set of resonances because all of the pipe lengths and diameters are different. My point is this, there are better places to modify to get the sound that GeorgeB wants.

One other suggestion would be to obviously change the exhaust system. One quick change would be to eliminate the midpipe resonator. Another mod, believe it or not, would be to change the transmission mount to the STi version if the car has a manual transmission. This change will produce a bit more transmission whine as well as more growl from the exhaust system as the vibrations from the exhaust system will couple better into the body of the car.

Archived