LegacyGT.com

Weighted Shift Knobs??

JBLU24

I was looking to spruce up the interior .........dont want generic ones with set screws- i just want it to screw into the shifter......

came across these GREDDY weighted knobs- supposedly they give ur shifts a better "feel"....i dunno- anyone ever use anything like this ??

Yes, and yes, they do give you a more positive "feel" on a subjective level.

It's all physics, even the throw of your stick. A bit of counterweighing will help in this respect, however, again, this is not something that everyone may prefer.

:)

On my immediate-past vehicle, a '95 Eagle Talon TSi, I paired the Greddy CounterWeight knob with a B&M short-throw kit. Seriously, this thing had, like, a 1-inch vertical-axis travel from gear-to-gear, and it shifted like a rifle-bolt. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I installed the Razo Type 300 shift knob. It's a carbon fiber wrapped aluminum knob and weighs 300 grams (just a tad heavier than stock). The knob comes packaged with 3 different sized plastic grommets that you thread into the stock shifter as well as 3 different height adjusters for the knob. I have the LGT limited and personally, the knob gives the interior a "sportier" look.

I bought the Greddy gear knob youre asking about, I had it on the car for about a day and i went back to my old Momo air race gear knob. The Greddy was a bit too small for my liking.

Definitely. :)

Like I keep saying, shift-knobs are very much a personal-preference thing.

What works for one person may totally not work for another - and this can include everything and anything, from physical incompatibility to things much more subjective, i.e. plainly "feeling" wrong.

A good knob will help tremendously with your shifting - I don't race, but this comes from 15+ years of driving stick ( even though I'm still prone to getting some of the terminology wrong :lol: ) - but getting a knob which doesn't fit can go anywhere from simply decreasing the vehicle's "fun-to-drive" quotient to actually causing missed shifts.

Personal-fit, first and foremost. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

• 1 year later...

I have designed one specifically for the Legacy (and other MT subarus for that matter).

It has a threaded stainless steel core for weight, and the exterior is Black Delrin.

The delrin hides most of the metal so in the summer you dont burn your hand and in the winter you don't stick to it with frost!!! (for those of us who have to worry about that).

Anyway... I hope to be making them soon.

I have designed one specifically for the Legacy (and other MT subarus for that matter).

It has a threaded stainless steel core for weight, and the exterior is Black Delrin.

The delrin hides most of the metal so in the summer you dont burn your hand and in the winter you don't stick to it with frost!!! (for those of us who have to worry about that).

Anyway... I hope to be making them soon.

Sounds cool!

Will it be a ball type or the palm grip type? Not a fan of Delrin or any kind os plastic/polymer coatings but lets see the product first.

I have the Subaru momo knob laying around that I took off my '04 WRX. I don't need it anymore since I have an auto now.

If anyone is interested, just send me a PM with an offer. I've been lazy in posting them on nasioc to unload them. I think they are about $80 new, but it was on the car for 2 years. It's in great shape, just not brand new.

You never know....make an offer. I may just take it. :icon_mrgr

That is a nice knob but good lord $99 is high.

Especially for not having a lip for the shift boot or any other 'features'.

Well it's a full lb and the finish is amazing. For the $ this is well worth it. 5th knob I've bought and the only one I kept. All the others were re-sold within 2 weeks.

I was looking to spruce up the interior .........dont want generic ones with set screws- i just want it to screw into the shifter......

came across these GREDDY weighted knobs- supposedly they give ur shifts a better "feel"....i dunno- anyone ever use anything like this ??

I had a Skunk2 STS/weighted shift knob combo on my GS-R and liked it - mechanically. One thing people haven't mentioned about metal shift knobs is their temperature sensitivity. They're butt-freezing cold in the winter, which goes away gradually once the transmission/engine heat makes it way up the shifter, and egg-frying hot in the summer, which requires redirection of the AC vents directly on the knob to correct. Don't think I'd consider anything but a leather knob in the future.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47859

It will be a cheap knob, considering the features and fabrication involved to make one. I just need to work some things out on my end before getting these.

Thanks for the link, they do look well designed. But I wouldn't consider $55-60 cheap tho... I paid Australian $75(about US$58) for the Greddy knob...

Thanks for the link, they do look well designed. But I wouldn't consider $55-60 cheap tho... I paid Australian $75(about US$58) for the Greddy knob...

ok. Not saying you can't go buy cheaper shift knobs out there. I can go get a $20 shift knob if I want. I can also get a $100 shift knob. None of these will give me what I want though. Its all up to the buyers perspective...

One thing people haven't mentioned about metal shift knobs is their temperature sensitivity. They're butt-freezing cold in the winter, which goes away gradually once the transmission/engine heat makes it way up the shifter, and egg-frying hot in the summer, which requires redirection of the AC vents directly on the knob to correct. Don't think I'd consider anything but a leather knob in the future.

^ That's definitely a good observation, and one that's always worth bringing-up for newcomers to such knobs.

The sole exception that I've had to that experience was, strangely enough, with my last DSM, using a B&M short-throw kit, paired with a GReddy CounterWeight knob. It never got truly hot to the touch in the summer, even with prolonged exposure to direct sunlight on the hottest summer days - nor was it ever truly as icy-cold as some of my other setups in the past.

I thought that it could have been due to the overall sheer mass of the pairing of the two, which was a considerable deal of metal-on-metal. :)

But for the vast majority of such setups, yea, they'll burn and then frostbite! :lol:

Archived