LegacyGT.com

Ac blows hot until moving in my 2013 legacy premium

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.watkinsheating.com/blog/the_cause_of_freon_leaks/

First link on google if you search for "do refrigerant systems lose refrigerant over time". The answer is "no, unless there's a leak".

which is typically around any seals aka compressor shaft seal, suction and discharge ports. In THEORY it should not leak but reality is often different... anywhere you have a seal or a moving part, you have the possibility of a leak...

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/what-causes-the-ac-system-to-leak

There are a number of potential causes for low refrigerant in your car’s AC system. Some refrigerant is lost naturally over time. It takes years, though.

so if you have a car that was built in 2009/10 it will most likely have less charge due to time than when it was new. R134a does not have the same effectiveness at cooling that R12 does and is very sensitive to charge levels. so yeah, I would get the car checked out if performance is not as it used to be.

Possibility of a leak....yes, like we stated, it should not lose freon unless there is a leak. Let's take my sisters 2002 Intrepid for instance...it's been in the family since 01 when my mom bought it brand new. It's never had the ac fixed/filled/checked and it's ice cold every year. How do I know? I'm the only one who has worked on the car.

I'm still trying to figure out who passed a law to let people buy refrigerant to begin with. If I'm not mistaken, that ac pro junk isnt just r134a so who knows what people are filling their systems with these days.

Freon doesn't just evaporate in the system. If you can't understand that then I don't know what to tell you.

Possibility of a leak....yes, like we stated, it should not lose freon unless there is a leak. Let's take my sisters 2002 Intrepid for instance...it's been in the family since 01 when my mom bought it brand new. It's never had the ac fixed/filled/checked and it's ice cold every year. How do I know? I'm the only one who has worked on the car.

I'm still trying to figure out who passed a law to let people buy refrigerant to begin with. If I'm not mistaken, that ac pro junk isnt just r134a so who knows what people are filling their systems with these days.

Freon doesn't just evaporate in the system. If you can't understand that then I don't know what to tell you.

lollipop no one said it evaporates, it leaks out...

You said every car loses about half an ounce every year. Am I going crazy or did you just flip and massage your response? I said it's a sealed system and doesn't lose freon unless there is a leak. You told me to research it for myself....so, what the hell is going on here? Nice recovery otherwise.

it's a man made thing and it is not perfect, but obviously you guys think it is... oh well drive around with your a/c not working right at idle and claim it's cold.....blowing 60F is not a properly functioning a/c no matter how you cut it.

btw I have my 2003 legacy still and after 13 years the car was no longer cooling like it should. pulled the charge out, put it on a vacuum and no leaks. Put the charge back in and what do you know, it was 2oz short.

2002 Acura CL-S 15 years later, same thing... pull charge out, holds vacuum, put charge back in, a few ounces short..

So geniuses if both of the systems held a vacuum for over an hour, and you recharge it and it comes up short, where did the refrigerant go?

(hint: it seeped out slowly over time....which is NORMAL)

it's a man made thing and it is not perfect, but obviously you guys think it is... oh well drive around with your a/c not working right at idle and claim it's cold.....blowing 60F is not a properly functioning a/c no matter how you cut it.

btw I have my 2003 legacy still and after 13 years the car was no longer cooling like it should. pulled the charge out, put it on a vacuum and no leaks. Put the charge back in and what do you know, it was 2oz short.

2002 Acura CL-S 15 years later, same thing... pull charge out, holds vacuum, put charge back in, a few ounces short..

So geniuses if both of the systems held a vacuum for over an hour, and you recharge it and it comes up short, where did the refrigerant go?

(hint: it seeped out slowly over time....which is NORMAL)

I think it is more likely your interference in the closed system caused the lost freon. And statistically, 2 cars out of hundreds of millions in essentially no cars.:p You need more scientific data than that to make a conjecture based on observation alone.

Hey guys I have an update on mine. I have been driving a lot over the last few days: from Phoenix, up to moab, then to aspen, then up mt Evans, Denver, durango,and bank to Phoenix tomorrow. I noticed that in cooler weather, my AC did get down to 40ish on the freeway. I'm talking ambient of 85ish and lower.

To me this just suggests that the extreme heat of the Phoenix summer strains the AC beyond the point where it can give me the icy air that I desire.

Vacuum and pressure is different, it happens all the time. As already stated, those 2 oz were most likely left in the lines.

Sarang- Have you checked to make sure your ac fan works properly? It sounds like the fan isn't cooling the condenser enough.

Hey guys I have an update on mine. I have been driving a lot over the last few days: from Phoenix, up to moab, then to aspen, then up mt Evans, Denver, durango,and bank to Phoenix tomorrow. I noticed that in cooler weather, my AC did get down to 40ish on the freeway. I'm talking ambient of 85ish and lower.

To me this just suggests that the extreme heat of the Phoenix summer strains the AC beyond the point where it can give me the icy air that I desire.

I will take my temp probe into my car tomorrow and see what kinds of readings I get. What temperature did you have your hvac set to, for consistency.

Vacuum and pressure is different, it happens all the time. As already stated, those 2 oz were most likely left in the lines.

Sarang- Have you checked to make sure your ac fan works properly? It sounds like the fan isn't cooling the condenser enough.

Both of my radiator fans run, I haven't checked the cabin blower. It seems to function well.

I will take my temp probe into my car tomorrow and see what kinds of readings I get. What temperature did you have your hvac set to, for consistency.

When I was testing intentionally I kept it on low and full auto. On this big trip I had my wife with me so the settings varied based on her mood, the outside Temps, whether she was in the sun... etc cetra.

You know the ac is filled properly? Perhaps the orifice tube is partially clogged and causing a slight blockage.

I topped it off myself as described before;I haven't been to a shop.

My quick experiment with a temp probe on my multimeter tells me my air us blowing at 75 degrees after a ten minute drive. Starting from 107 degrees. Hvac set to Lo full auto probe in the center vent with passenger vents both closed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

My quick experiment with a temp probe on my multimeter tells me my air us blowing at 75 degrees after a ten minute drive. Starting from 107 degrees. Hvac set to Lo full auto probe in the center vent with passenger vents both closed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

That doesn't sound good.

It's pretty dang hot here, walking into our 76 degree house gives me chills. I noted on my way home it was clouded over pretty good, temp was around 90 and the ac temperature was dropping quickly into the 60 before I turned it up from LO to 75. So I think it is more of an issue with idle speed not being able to move the coolant fast enough to transfer the heat from inside the car as opposed to an actual issue with the AC. Our interiors are much bigger than the previous generations so it is going to take longer to take longer to get it cooled.

I don't see a problem with my AC it is just hot here, it works the same as it always has.

Archived