LegacyGT.com

Break Lines....

So I blew a break line in my 05 Legacy gt last week, and I get searching the internet about costs of parts and what not. While doing so, I find out that my cars brake lines were actually recalled a few years ago while under the previous ownership. I called the dealer thinking maybe this guy never had them replaced, but he did have them replaced in 2014.

Now my question is how has one already rusted out and blown again in just 2 years? The car only has 120,000Km on it.

Im just kinda venting, ignore if you'd like but man what a pain in the a**

Either they were replaced and the job was badly done or the workshop just did it on paper but not in reality.

Assuming it was the item under recall that blew.

Document what broke, pics would be good.

453747.png

The recall on the brake line did not replace the lines, just sprayed some undercoating on them to protect them from salt. Most brake lines that rust out, rust from the inside out because brake fluid absorbs moisture. If your 12 year old car has never had the brake fluid replaced or flushed or changed it may have rusted.

The recall on the brake line did not replace the lines, just sprayed some undercoating on them to protect them from salt.

Incorrect.

"Subaru will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the vehicles. If no brake fluid seepage is observed, the affected area will be rustproofed with anti-corrosion wax. If brake fluid seepage is observed, the brake lines will be replaced followed by rustproofing with anti-corrosion wax. These services will be performed free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Subaru at 1-800-782-2783. Subaru's recall campaign number is WQG-43"

If the lines end up having to be replaced with custom rather than pre-bent sections, I HIGHLY recommend nicopp (nickel copper) tubing. It's super easy to bend and flare, almost impossible to kink, and it basically will never rust. I'm using it for all of the replacement lines on my accord.

Archived