LegacyGT.com

Sunroof??

latintrpt

^ Actually, many dealers contract out such work to a local company.

Such an accessory can even residualize along with the vehicle, if a lease is undertaken.

I know because on four of my wife's last six vehicles, including her current '05 Rex, she (when she was still single)/we had aftermarket moonroofs put in. Some of these past vehicles were leased.

And yes, the dealership undertook all responsibilities with such additions, from scheduling the visit to working-in the price with the purchase/lease "deal." They'll count it as a "dealer-installed accessory."

None have leaked - as long as the job's done right, you can expect the quality as well as fit and finish to be factory or *superior*.

The current one on her Rex was done by a local shop that was specifically recommended by our dealership. The local company who performs this service is specialized towards the high-end market, and will even put in a roof "in your driveway," if desired. They not only picked up the vehicle, but returned it with a full interior detail. Her current roof has memory functions, illuminated controls, as well as auto-close, all of which I certainly wish the one on my factory/stock LGT Ltd. has.... :( I'm of course both the memory module as well as the auto-close module on mine, and I've had to resort to a Tritium marker for illumination in mine, too. :lol:

Expect costs to be, like legacy2005 mentioned, somewhere in the $1K to $1.5K range, depending on moon-vs.-sun-roof, and options/features.

Always go with a reputable company.

You'll be find as long as you do.

Leaky aftermarket sun/moonroofs are a thing of the past - as in '80s past. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Eor the price, another $500 get's the limited package. Like the others have said, it's about $1000 for the "regular" sunroof. Most company's have a warranty for at least 10 years. You really shouldn't have a problem with the leaking, and they look factory. If you want, another $500 would get you the auto sensing sunroof which closes when you turn the car off, and closes when it senses rain! For the money get the limited package.

... but it seems to me it would compromise the structural integrity of the car.

This is my thinking, too....

*In my mind, though*, this would assume that any factory vehicle with sun/moon-roof would have a slightly differently designed greenhouse structure - used to "reinforce" the holed-out roof.

As such, I am honestly uncertain.

What I do know is that on none of her vehicles since '97 has there ever been any rattles or noticeable structure "squeeks" (i.e. going over railroad tracks). But then again, that might just be that we have not exceeded the limits of perception, and perhaps having the car on a dirt track or even paved track would be the only way to notice.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

well i already bought the 2005 legacy GT 5AT. So how am i suppose to buy the limited package? I got this car for about $24,900. I mean i wouldn't mind the leather but i bought this car because it was so cheap. The one thing i miss is a sunroof. I had a sunroof on my 2002 nissan sentra se-r spec-v. The vibe i'm getting is that it isn't worth it to get a sunroof.

The sunroof's don't compromise the structure. They cut out the sheet metal. There's no structural beams right there. Most aftermarket roofs will actually slide "out" of the car and stick up. Like the ones that Bill Kolb Jr. has on the GTX packages. Every company is different. I've seen them installed on the legacy's where they slide between the roof and roof liner just like stock. it's up to you for the roof, for $1,000 it's costly. There's other "mods" to spend your money on. :D

Thanks, CruiSSer. ;)

-----

Definitely, most aftermarket roofs come "out and up," but, like you said, depending on the vehicle and the specific roof chosen, it can well go in-between, too. The one on my wifey's Rex now goes in-between.

I mean i would trade this car in for an 06 but i have the car now. What do u mean i can get limited trim for $500 more? Isn't it $2500 more? I really want the sunroof. I had a sunroof on my old car and i miss it on this one. I mean i like the leather it's just that i didn't want to go ahead an get the limited trim because it cost $2500 more.

i dont know if its just the dealer i go to but my subaru dealership told me a flat price of 900 for the factory limited sunroof to be put in my gt. and gave me a price of 1200 for leather seats but told me they could probly do it for 1000 depending if i wanted different color inserts and such but again im kinda asuming thats just my dealership. but thats the factory sunroof installed for 900 not a cheap aftermarket one

Umm, there's no way to install the "factory" sunroof after the fact. Your dealer is gonna go buy the Webasto unit and call it "factory" because it goes into the roof just like the stocker, and without a stock one next to yours you'd never tell the difference anyway. All of this content is in the original (year old) thread.

i dont know if its just the dealer i go to but my subaru dealership told me a flat price of 900 for the factory limited sunroof to be put in my gt. and gave me a price of 1200 for leather seats but told me they could probly do it for 1000 depending if i wanted different color inserts and such but again im kinda asuming thats just my dealership. but thats the factory sunroof installed for 900 not a cheap aftermarket one

Hmmm...I could be wrong, but I don't think the factory limited sunroof/moonroofs were meant to be retrofitted. Something sounds funny here. And even if it's doable, which I'm not convinced of, I don't see any way they could do it for $900. This is a fully electric moonroof, with controls in the same panel that controls the reading lights, etc.

I'm sure they could install some sort of sunroof for $900, but I'm willing to give odds that it isn't the factory limited moonroof.

• 1 year later...

I just had a power moonroof installed in my "05 LGT. The dealer would have done it by sending it to the same installer and added 10%. It was $900 plus tax , top of the line ACS electric moonroof with auto close feature. The leak issue and body integrity issue has been talked about. They don't leak. Period. The installation is identicle to the factory installation except the roof edge isn't rolled. They have a water management system built in. I discussed it with a friend who has had a body shop specializing in high end cars and restoration and he has had many done by the same installer over the years with no leaks. Body integrity is not compromised since this is a cut in the skin and is non supportative.

The key is to go to a shop with a good reputation . See who the dealers use. I saw them putting in a moonroof on a new Camry Hybrid, so if they can do a hybrid with all it's electrical issues,they can do anything.

Keep in mind that a dealer installed carries the same warranty as the car but an aftermarket is 10 years(although my installer is lifetime).

Pictures posted, if you are interested.

BTW:2 huge downpours and not a drop.

There are a few really good aftermarket sunroofs available. Webesto (spelling is wrong) makes great roofs and so does ASC. They even have "drainless" types so your installer is not hacking up your "A" pillars.

Here is the catch. A factory roof is crash certified. Obiviously, aftermarket roofs cannot crash test every model car. So, working for a Dodge/Chrysler dealer I will relay their position on aftermarket roofs.

"Due to the complexity of SRS and structural systems in modern vehicles, Daimler Chrysler does not recomend the install of aftermarket roofs. Instalation of such items could adversely affect the safety systems, and could result in a warranty restriction on the vehicle."

I think they pretty much covered their asses with that!:icon_mrgr

Archived