LegacyGT.com

Hella 500 mounting solution

Heffernan

Hi everyone - I've had a pair of Hella 500 lights mounted behind the grill of my '08 Outback for roughly the past 2 years. Needless to say that I hardly ever use them because the output is terrible with most of the light being diminished from the grill directly in front. So I'm looking to finally correct this problem.

The cheapest and most time saving solution I've seen is to simply use a piece of metal, bolted directly to the bumper beam, stick out through the grill and allow the lights to sit directly in front of the grill. My only question is, if I'm going to drill 2 small holes (on each side) for a nut and bolt, is there anything inside the bumper beam that I need to be careful of? From my understanding it's a hollow piece of aluminum but I just want to double check before I begin.

Thanks for the help and if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

I mounted a set on my 2nd gen a while back and made a mesh grill. This post will show what my friend made for brackets. They tied into the bumper beam and rad support.

http://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.php?13889-98legwag-s-98-Legacy-L-Wagon&p=228585&viewfull=1#post228585

Yea, that's basically the same idea I have but the lights would be on the outside of the grill. Mount the supports to the bumper beam, run extensions through the grill and on the outside have a bar to mount 2-4 light to. I'm going to Home Depot this afternoon to see what I can find in terms of material.

Archived