LegacyGT.com

02 Impreza 2.5 A/C Question

Hi All,

Since I bought my 02 RS last fall, the A/C has not worked. The green light on the A/C illuminates, however the compressor does not kick on. I checked the refrigerant and found it a bit low and topped it up. I also found that the air conditioning relay in the engine fuse box was missing, so I installed a new one.

The compressor still will not turn, as it feels like the clutch has a high spot from rust and gets caught. It does not feel like the compressor itself is bad, rather the clutch on the front has some sort of spot where it is rubbing and it has trouble getting by. If I have the compressor engaged, I can hit the face with a ratchet and it will turn a little on it's own before it gets caught and stops again. I took a video turning it by hand, and you can see and hear where it is getting caught up. Any ideas on how to fix this so it spins freely and I can get cold air again?

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzanjQ-m7ys

Thanks

You can replace the hub clutch assy easily but if the compressor is bad you will have wasted a little money. If you need compressor also replace receiver drier and flush the system. How did you "top"off the system? Unless you evacuate and charge correctly it is extremely difficult to know you have the right amount in the system. Impossible without the compressor running.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Archived