LegacyGT.com

Opinion on Saab 9-3 Turbo X

As I consider my next vehicle purchase a few cars are peeking my interest...

- 08-09OBXT (wagon, refined, but still lots of room to play, but probably most expensive initially)

-2000-2001 Impreza 2.5RS (older, but if one is found w/o the rear quarter rust, cheapest option initially (but money for repairs for a 15 yo car though)

05-06 Saab 9-2x Aero (Saabaru!!!! Nuff said!)

Then comes my out of left field look at an 08+ Saab 9-3 XWDhttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160708/767468fd760a3f2e3d5330108f76fea9.jpg

I've been trying to find some reliability and/or information in the 9-3 and I'm curious if any of you have thought about/ considered this as an option.

Seems like Saab has been in the turbo game for quite a long time... It's a 6cyl turbo making around 280hp w/ 300 lb/ft torque, their version of a cross-wheel drive system.... I feel that is making it a close competitor in terms of power with an LGT. Probably not as mod friendly, but out of the box, wouldn't it match the LGT?

Any thoughts or knowns you have about this car?

I highly respect the LGT communities opinions (mostly... [emoji55]) and am just curious to hear what you would say in comparison/contrast for this car.

Hah my coworker's a big saab guy. Nothing but problems with saabs. The issues are usually electronic and not being able to find parts. He had a 9-3 Viggen for a while, nothing but a headache.

But this one's a GM era one? So you may not have as many problems. But the problem may be trim pieces and exterior pieces later because the car isn't made anymore.

Modding-wise? People definitely tune it.

They are getting dirt cheap too since I'm sure parts are hard to come by... But yes this one started using GM parts so I read that the plastics aren't as nice and it features GMs more simplistic interior features.

I've read that they mod the 2.0 turbos as well and hit close to 300hp (at the crank).

The problem is I'm spoiled with Subarus AWD so finding a Saab that has their XWD (cross wheel drive) system is the rare part about it.... I can find plenty of their V6 turbo versions but FWD [emoji21].

Archived