LegacyGT.com

Subie needs new AC compressor

Well everyone, it's that time of the year! When it's nice and hot and the air conditioner compressor takes a dive in the legacy.

My initial shopping around showed that they are quite expensive, new ones ranging from $300 to $400. I found some cheaper ones on eBay but a lot of them are for models ranging from 2005 and up. So my question was would any of the newer ones work in my 2.5 liter for my 2002 Legacy? Does it Matter if it says it's for Forrester, Impreza etc.?

you can buy a OEM kit off of amazon for less than $410. Also if your compressor detonated, you will also need a new condenser and a new accumulator/receiver dryer.

https://smile.amazon.com/Genuine-Compressor-Clutch-Repair-Outback/dp/B00Z7ZMOH0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467242314&sr=8-2&keywords=2003+Legacy+OEM+compressor

i am in the same boat.. looking for both a 2009 forester and 2002 lego...

they are different the forester goes back to 05 and the lego goes up to 04 (maybe its 99-04 or 94-04, i doubt it) but you should look for older cars. have never seen anyone convert one but they are two entirely different parts.. the fitment will be all wrong im assuming

I'm pretty sure Forester and Impreza compressors of similar years will work.

I just look at the hose sizes and locations. If they're the same, I bolt it on and go.

2005+ the compressors got a lot smaller, line locations/sizes changed, and the whole AC system really changed. . . no more replaceable drier bottle (it changed to a bag that goes in the condensor) and the lines are all on the left side of the engine bay instead of making a big loop like previous gens. yes, you can physically bolt the compressor onto the engine and hang a belt off it but good luck finding lines that fit.

So odds are you would not be able to use a 05+ leg/ob compressor. Forester/impreza body style ran through 07/08 so one of those might work, don't know.

Different compressors use different brackets so you can't always swap compressors without having the bracket too. If you're buying new from the parts store they do not come with the bracket. If you're gaffling one off a junkyard car, sure, grab the bracket. I mention that as the possibility for butthurt is strong if you go off the reservation when ordering new parts spec'd for other models simply because they're cheaper.

You don't necessarily have to swap the condensor after compressor failure on the old systems. You can (with a good deal of patience and a good flush kit) clean them out. Definitely should change the expansion valve and filter/drier. Probably won't be debris in the evaporator as it's downstream of the expansion valve and filter/drier but good idea to flush it and all the lines/hoses too. It's a closed system so whatever you leave in there stays and either gets caught in the filter or continually runs through the compressor.

You don't necessarily have to swap the condensor after compressor failure on the old systems. You can (with a good deal of patience and a good flush kit) clean them out. Definitely should change the expansion valve and filter/drier. Probably won't be debris in the evaporator as it's downstream of the expansion valve and filter/drier but good idea to flush it and all the lines/hoses too. It's a closed system so whatever you leave in there stays and either gets caught in the filter or continually runs through the compressor.

If your compressor detonates and shoots metal into the condenser (typical failure) you cannot flush it out and this is why

when they switched over to R134a the passages in the condenser got a whole lot smaller and as such metal bits get jammed up in them.

Archived