LegacyGT.com

One year old - clay bar time?

My RBP Legacy had her first birthday in September. Put 30K miles on in 1 year. Mostly highway miles.

Is it reasonable to do a full detail including a clay bar now? I'm finally planning to put a Clearbra on soon and don't want to cover up swirl marks.

Just wondering if claying the car makes sense after just 1 year.

A clay bar won't remove swirls. All it does is remove the contamination on the surface. I defnitely think it is a good idea to clay the car after a year though. I have clayed mine twice since Febraury. Not because I'm obsessive, but because it needed it. If you run your hand across the paint and it feels rough at all then it is time to clay. You can also see the contamination if you look closely on the roof or the rear bumper. It looks like dark discoloration spots. You can see them in this picture if you look close...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/Legacy%20nonGT/ifo.jpg

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Yup. Remember how Silly Putty would pull the news print or comics off of a newspaper? Clay is similar. It pulls the contamination out of your paint that causes those discolorations. Little metal shavings that land on your paint and then rust into it. In fact, since you have a white car you probably notice this more than others. If you take a look at the back of your trunk and your bumper you will notice little orange dots and little black dots. That is called Industrial Fallout and is removed with clay.

This article might be a little more help. Clay is a pretty amazing thing. It is the one product I can think of that will cause an instant difference in your paint's condition. It isn't hard to get and it isn't hard at all to use. Your white car will look loads better after you clay it. It will feel better too. A freshly clayed car is smooth as glass.

OCDETAILS BLOG

cool. going to clay it. already bought some of that S100 wax that OCD recommended. I will ask the detailer to use it after claying out all the crud. anything else that I should purchase for the detailer to use?

I would hope that your detailer already has the tools he needs. If not then you should probably find another detailer. It shouldn't be up to the customer to supply the detailer with products. He better give you a discount for using your own wax on the car.

OCDETAILS BLOG

One thing you can do before you clay it...run your fingernails along the paint (backside of hand)....if you feel little bumps when you do this it's probably a good idea to clay. If you get very few to no bumps a little cleaner wax should do the trick.

I had my WRX for three years and never had to clay it (I'm obsessive compulsive when it comes to keeping a car clean).

Mike

http://kanedasrealm.net

Archived