LegacyGT.com

Shifter interchangeability with LGT

I just want to shorten the gear shifter some. It wouldn't be hard to do. I've done it in other cars I've owned before. The only thing that would worry me is the reverse lock out. I'd like to have another one to mess with on the bench verses tearing mine apart in the car. I'd also like to see if I can tighten it up some. It seems to have a ton of slop in it.

Does the 2015-up WRX and STI use the same shifter?

Moving the pivot point means you need to move the lower cable insertion point and make room in the bottom cover. Just shortening the top half would be easier but overall less effective, and you need to cut down the reverse lockout and reattach it. It's a complicated design, luckily there are a lot of aftermarket options now. As far as tightening it up you could probably find a way to brace the shifter to stiffen it up, but the design is just not mod friendly for diy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Cool thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I've looked at the braces and shorter shifters. I was just planning shorting the top side of the shifter and modifying the stock reverse lock out or making a new one if needed. I'm a machinist and have a shop available. So it wouldn't cost me anything but my time.

Thanks again

Rutchard if you find the shifter please let me know. GTEASER I've read most of your posts on here including the ones above. Thanks for the links. I'm not really worried about reinventing the wheel. But I'd like to tighten up the stock shifter because it drive me nuts. This morning I was taking my favorite on ramp corner and went for third and it was no where to be found because of the slop in it. I'm thinking if I can make a couple bushings, braces, or in general tighten up some things to make it shift better. If not I haven't lost anything either.

I'd start with the brass shifter bushing if you don't already have it. It's one of the least expensive mods you could do, really easy to install as long as you can safely get under the car, and makes a very dramatic difference considering it's size and cost.

Archived