LegacyGT.com

Installing factory subwoofer & auto-dimming mirror--how invasive?

biturbowagon

I like having as rattle-free a car as possible. My new LGT is pretty quiet, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Having the dealer install a factory sub and/or auto-dimming mirror--how likely could it be done without adding rattles to the car? I know there is no absolute answer to this question, but I figure that someone might have a handle on the answer.

I've STFA, and have found info on performing such installations, but I don't have a specific answer to this question. If I missed it in the archive, please feel free to point me in the right direction.

TIA.

The car is not pre-wired for the sub install. Furthermore, they'll do a half assed job if they do a dealer install of the sub. My advice, do it yourself and then maybe even use a little silicone on some key mounting points to minimize rattles.

For the sub install, I would highly recommend removing the driver's seat if possible to get the wires beneath the carpet for the best install. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the info, everyone.

My one significant disappointment with the new car is the quality of the stereo. I especially like classical music, but also listen to jazz, rock, etc.

I'm considering adding the subwoofer as a way to make the sound a bit better. But, as I wrote before, I don't want to add any rattles or squeaks.

• 2 weeks later...

How good is the Sub anyway. Since I'm considering buying a new Lagacy, I asked the dealer about the sub and he adviced against buying it. He recommended a Blaupunkt sub instead. It would cost just a bit more but he said it was a difference like day & night.

Peter

I don't think the Subaru sub is that great...but I'll probably keep it even though I will be installing an Alpine headunit soon. It's nice that it doesn't take up any space.

How good is the Sub anyway. Since I'm considering buying a new Lagacy, I asked the dealer about the sub and he adviced against buying it. He recommended a Blaupunkt sub instead. It would cost just a bit more but he said it was a difference like day & night.

Peter

I have the mirror and the sub- neither rattles in my car. The sub sounds good IMHO, as long as your not looking to bounce quarters off the roof (I'm not)...You just have to be sure to set the level and crossover points correctly. I had the dealer do mine when I took delivery and I'm very happy. Passengers in my car usually comment on how good it sounds....

Archived